Street parking built 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swhme

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey gang— I’m moving down to Austin next month for work. I’ll be living in Central East Austin, near Rosewood & Navasota. I’m going to need to street park my 100– is there anything I should be wary of or do proactively to keep it safe? Is cat theft a big issue in ATX?

Great hood, good choice. I personally haven't heard of anyone getting their Cats stolen. I'm sure it happens but not as common as CA.

Ha... there you go. Although my friend has a Prius in that exact neighborhood and parks on the street and still has her cat.

I wouldn't worry about theft so much as getting side swiped/hit-and-ran. Good neighborhood though. Was a little rough around the edges 20 years ago, would say those days are long gone.

Austin is the only city in America where MLK street is not ghetto. Gentrification is real here.

Austin is the only city in America where MLK street is not ghetto. Gentrification is real here.
That’s for sure, as verified by the insane rent my company is paying for our house. Absolutely bonkers.

There used to be a run-down old New Orleans-style place called Gene's at that intersection. Great food, good prices, and Gene was a big personality who was good to know. Loved getting the jambalaya special on Tuesdays, especially. Big plate of jambalaya, fried chicken, green beans, biscuits, etc. Would get a big banana pudding for dessert and I'd be in a coma for the rest of the day and only be out <$10 with tip. Great comfort food indulgence for a broke college kid.

Most of my pearl clutching friends at UT wouldn't come with us because it was the "wrong side of I-35" and they had paranoid delusions that we'd get robbed or stabbed or something as soon as we parked. I grew up in a rough part of Dallas, and east Austin had nothing on that area, but it was a place to avoid for a lot of my upper-middle-class local friends. That mentality kept the east side property values down for a long time.

At some point Austin got so hip that the horizon of gentrification finally started rushing eastward. I was living on the east side nearly a decade ago when it hit our block, old houses in fine condition were getting torn down and replaced with hastily slapped together and trendy looking boxy McMansions that filled the lot to the maximum amount, to the point that they couldn't even legally have a solid driveway because the impervious cover allowance was used up by the larger footprint of the house.

In the midst of all that change on the east side, Gene's eventually closed down, it's been replaced by a trendy place called Hillside Farmacy where a good food coma is more likely to set you back $30-50 than $8-9.

Anyway, I'm just another old soul Austin dude lamenting change with "Austin was cooler back when I was young." There are still a few of us around I guess, a lot more have left for one reason or another like myself. It seems the clock for this feeling starts as soon as someone moves there, I knew a lot of guys who would tell me about how we missed the good old days in Austin, "Austin was so much cooler back in the 80s, you kids have no idea." I think your clock will start soon enough.

Austin is still a great place, don't know that we could afford to ever move back as anything but renters. Every time we visit I'm bummed at how crowded everything has become, but that is life I suppose, and as they say, "you can't go home again."

Indians complained about Cowboys moving in...
Cowboys complained about hippies moving in...
hippies complained about techies moving in...
Techies complained about hipsters moving in...
hipsters compalined about Californians moving in...

The Austin cycle continues.... I say we're still good until too many Jeeps move in.

There used to be a run-down old New Orleans-style place called Gene's at that intersection. Great food, good prices, and Gene was a big personality who was good to know. Loved getting the jambalaya special on Tuesdays, especially. Big plate of jambalaya, fried chicken, green beans, biscuits, etc. Would get a big banana pudding for dessert and I'd be in a coma for the rest of the day and only be out <$10 with tip. Great comfort food indulgence for a broke college kid.

Most of my pearl clutching friends at UT wouldn't come with us because it was the "wrong side of I-35" and they had paranoid delusions that we'd get robbed or stabbed or something as soon as we parked. I grew up in a rough part of Dallas, and east Austin had nothing on that area, but it was a place to avoid for a lot of my upper-middle-class local friends. That mentality kept the east side property values down for a long time.

At some point Austin got so hip that the horizon of gentrification finally started rushing eastward. I was living on the east side nearly a decade ago when it hit our block, old houses in fine condition were getting torn down and replaced with hastily slapped together and trendy looking boxy McMansions that filled the lot to the maximum amount, to the point that they couldn't even legally have a solid driveway because the impervious cover allowance was used up by the larger footprint of the house.

In the midst of all that change on the east side, Gene's eventually closed down, it's been replaced by a trendy place called Hillside Farmacy where a good food coma is more likely to set you back $30-50 than $8-9.

Anyway, I'm just another old soul Austin dude lamenting change with "Austin was cooler back when I was young." There are still a few of us around I guess, a lot more have left for one reason or another like myself. It seems the clock for this feeling starts as soon as someone moves there, I knew a lot of guys who would tell me about how we missed the good old days in Austin, "Austin was so much cooler back in the 80s, you kids have no idea." I think your clock will start soon enough.

Austin is still a great place, don't know that we could afford to ever move back as anything but renters. Every time we visit I'm bummed at how crowded everything has become, but that is life I suppose, and as they say, "you can't go home again."

Be careful, Dave G will be along soon to tell you that you don't live in Austin, so don't know what you're talking about!

All good words above, and well written. Loved the "pearl clutching friends" line... I moved here in '03, moved 8 miles north and out of the city limits in '16, and just watch the sh*tshow from afar now.

Be careful, Dave G will be along soon to tell you that you don't live in Austin, so don't know what you're talking about!

All good words above, and well written. Loved the "pearl clutching friends" line... I moved here in '03, moved 8 miles north and out of the city limits in '16, and just watch the sh*tshow from afar now.

Yeah I'm just a homesick Texan, the reverse situation of your typical TX/CA migrant these days but would understand if I got flamed for posting with a California location.

I'm a born-Texas and lived in Austin for about 15 years, only left for work. Couldn't ply my trade in Austin so I'm out here in the gilded cage for a few more years yet. Before COVID we were coming back every 2-3 months for visits and the change felt gradual. Our first post-vax visit was after ~17 months of no travel so the perceived change was severe.

Yeah I'm just a homesick Texan, the reverse situation of your typical TX/CA migrant these days but would understand if I got flamed for posting with a California location.

I'm a born-Texas and lived in Austin for about 15 years, only left for work. Couldn't ply my trade in Austin so I'm out here in the gilded cage for a few more years yet. Before COVID we were coming back every 2-3 months for visits and the change felt gradual. Our first post-vax visit was after ~17 months of no travel so the perceived change was severe.

Sounds like you missed most of the Tent City Times... a friend with a couple of businesses in town told me yesterday that it's gotten better since Prop B passed. Where he had people constantly trying to break in, and taking dumps on his properties, now it's mainly a guy that masturbates daily, in front of the sign that advises people to smile, as they are on camera. He says the guy always smiles while doing the deed, so you can't say he isn't following directions! :rofl:

Sounds like you missed most of the Tent City Times... a friend with a couple of businesses in town told me yesterday that it's gotten better since Prop B passed. Where he had people constantly trying to break in, and taking dumps on his properties, now it's mainly a guy that masturbates daily, in front of the sign that advises people to smile, as they are on camera. He says the guy always smiles while doing the deed, so you can't say he isn't following directions! :rofl:
Now if he was in a bikini, then it would be just like old Austin.

Thanks for all the input, kind comments, and warm welcome! I’m keenly aware of the huge influx of folks y’all have going on, and that every person coming in just makes the prices a little higher for everyone, and can completely understand that some people are less than thrilled about it. I’m going to do my best to just support local businesses and enjoy cruising Texas!

FWIW, cat theft is still a HUGE issue on commercial vehicles. Our Habitat box trucks were getting them stolen multiple times a week at one point. Seems less common on normal vehicles, albeit not nonexistent.

Welcome to ATX!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom