Street and Trail Tire Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Needing a new set of street and trail tires, I want to stick with around a 33" street tire, but don't know what to choose.

I don't know if I should go with a skinny (255 or 10.5) or a fatty (305 or 12.50).

I don't know whether I should get an all terrain or mud terrain.

And I don't know which set I should put on my 15" or 16" rims.

I know I want a 36" trail tire, but don't know if I should save the 16" for some military Michelins or just get a set of 15" tires.

My "street" tires may also see some light trail use, or emergency/spur-of-the-moment off-road situations.

Thanks in advance although I know most of this is repeat reposted aggrivating material, but the rim size choice is a tough one.

Ditch the 15s.

alkaline747trio said:
Needing a new set of street and trail tires, I want to stick with around a 33" street tire, but don't know what to choose.
The following is IMHO. Tires are a personal thing, so I can only state what I would suggest.

alkaline747trio said:
I don't know if I should go with a skinny (255 or 10.5) or a fatty (305 or 12.50).
255/85R16 Goodyear Wrangler AT.

alkaline747trio said:
I don't know whether I should get an all terrain or mud terrain.
For the standard use tire, get something good at street that you won't be shy about using on dirt roads and the like. The AT above works for that.

alkaline747trio said:
And I don't know which set I should put on my 15" or 16" rims.
Dump the 15" rims and get a set specifically for your 36" tires. If you're going with the 9.00-16 Michelins, you're going to need 6.5" wide (or so) rims.

alkaline747trio said:
I know I want a 36" trail tire, but don't know if I should save the 16" for some military Michelins or just get a set of 15" tires.
Save for the Michelin XZL tires then post lots of pictures so I can figure out if I'm going to do that when my MTRs run out in a couple of years.

alkaline747trio said:
My "street" tires may also see some light trail use, or emergency/spur-of-the-moment off-road situations.
I had a set of 31x10.5 R15 Goodyear AT tires on my wifes '92. They were IMHO perfect for those uses. I've not tried them in the 255/85R16, but they sound & look very cool.

alkaline747trio said:
Thanks in advance although I know most of this is repeat reposted aggrivating material, but the rim size choice is a tough one.
If you're going to go real tall and real narrow, the 9.00R16 Michelins are IMHO the holy grail. I have no idea what you need to do to fit them though. Probably a 5-6" lift or a whole lot of work with a sawsall, angle grinder, fill, fiberglass, etc...

If I cut the fender so that all of the area that actually aprons down is gone and then...

Dude, put on 35" TRXUS MT's for both street and trail. This is the only tire you need and the true 35" size will satisfy your need for a larger tire without causing the excess trimming issues of a 36".

Great tires for mud/rock and snow wheeling if you do it, AT friendly on the street, still ok with stock 4.10 gears.

Nay

Grench said:
255/85R16 Goodyear Wrangler AT.
Sounds like a good choice, but do they have a 15" skinny version?

Grench said:
Dump the 15" rims and get a set specifically for your 36" tires. If you're going with the 9.00-16 Michelins, you're going to need 6.5" wide (or so) rims.
If you suggest save for the XMLs, then I'd rather keep the 15x7" rims for the skinny street tires and save a little dough. The 16" rims I have now are 16x8s, I believe those will work pretty well on the 9.00s.

Grench said:
If you're going to go real tall and real narrow, the 9.00R16 Michelins are IMHO the holy grail. I have no idea what you need to do to fit them though. Probably a 5-6" lift or a whole lot of work with a sawsall, angle grinder, fill, fiberglass, etc...

If I cut the fender so that all of the area that actually aprons down is gone and then...
I netted 5" front and 6" rear with my hybrid lift, TYLER fit 36" IROKs on his with minimal trimming. I'm thinkin that I might have to lower the bump stops slightly more than the 2 inches I have now to run the 9.00s, but will have to see once I get them on there.

I appreciate the help, but I would kinda like to keep the 15's I have now and use them for atleast one option.

Nay said:
Dude, put on 35" TRXUS MT's for both street and trail. This is the only tire you need and the true 35" size will satisfy your need for a larger tire without causing the excess trimming issues of a 36".

Great tires for mud/rock and snow wheeling if you do it, AT friendly on the street, still ok with stock 4.10 gears.

Nay

With 35's my mileage would be way worse than I'm ready to deal with, and with some of the sharp rocks at Uwharries I'd rather not throw my daily shoes to that kind of abuse.

I know running 35's on a DD is common place, but I feel more comfortable at the pump running 33's, and I can't imagine the 4.slow under my hood suffering any more than it does now.

I keep trying to find/get someone to do the 36" military tires so I can sponge off of them the knowledge of how to do it.

Everyone wants to run as big a tire as they can all the time, but why not run a 33 street and the max size you can fit off road?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom