Strapping a spare tire on the roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone have put their spare tire on the roof for long trips before. I am planning to take a 12hr drive trip and do not have a full size spare carrier. I plan to get a bumper in a few months so don't want to waste money for a swingout tire carrier. Could you share your experience if you have done this before to put a spare tire on a roof rack. I have a Victory 4x4 full length roof rack installed.

Thanks in advance.

When I still had my 1st gen Taco I carried a tire on the roof rack for our weekend classes for tire repair session. I mounted it on my Front Runner roof rack with a cargo strap. It worked ok and served its purpose. Some classes that didn’t camp in the same camp I had to carry it on the trail and you could notice the tire up there for sure.

With that being said I currently don’t have a rear bumper mount for my spare so it’ll be going on the roof rack. I bought the Front Runner roof mount spare tire holder for this reason and when I do get a rear bumper I will carry my class tire repair one up there. Not ideal for sure.

thanks for the reply guys. I might just order the swingout tire carrier. I was also thinking about putting on the stock tires and wheels on for the trip.

The only time I see a roof mounted spare tires is on s*** box Jeep Cherokee XJ's or early gen Grand Cherokee's driven by high school kids. In other words, don't do it. It's a stop gap solution. If you're not ready for a full bumper swing out then I'd just keep it underneath.

Last edited:
If you put your spare on the roof, be sure it sitting or cross bars and not on the roof panel.
As mentioned above, this is fine for a one time trip, but definitely invest in a tire carrier of some type.

Under, out-back, on top... Who cares where your spare is as long as you are out there having fun.:steer:

You don't need to dump thousands of dollars into a rig to hang a wheel on so you can play with your Toy. Be practical, be safe, toss the thing on the roof, learn how to plug a puncture, and go enjoy the outdoors.

What size tires are on your 4Runner and what size is the spare? 34" tires fit underneath. If you're running 35" plus - then I guess I'd probably put the spare in the back and the light weight gear on the roof if you can.

I get flat tires so infrequently that I wouldn't think twice about relying on a stock 265/70/17 to get me to the tire shop unless I was rolling on something 34" or larger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom