1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strapped a F450 w/ 5th wheel

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Mudshack, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Mudshack

Mudshack

I left work early because I was feeling sick, but couldn't pass up the chance to show off the LX450's towing abilities.

In south Texas, any little rain fall will cause the solid cement-like terra beneath you to turn to slippery potter's clay. A T-storm just rolled through and one of the guys who does mowing for the city was trying to get back onto pavement. He was driving a 2WD F450 dually flatbed with a 5th wheel. The trailer had a Ford 4WD tractor with 3wide brush hog attached.

He wasn't in deep mud, but he was definitely not going anywhere. When I back up to him (keeping one wheel on the pavement) he was skeptical but thankful. A tractor trailor pulled up to help how and said "you gonna pull HIM out with your Lexus???" I replied, "yep."

Wrapped the strap through the hitch, and can you believe, there wasn't a tow point on the F450. The guy wanted to attach to the front of the leave spring. I told him that wasn't a good idea, but he insisted.

Jumped in, dropped her into low range, and creep out. She was heavy, but the LX450 really didn't sweat. Once out, and detached, I realized how much pull the LX450 really did. Pulled the stitching right out of my 30,000 strap. And started to frey it. Into the trash with her, but it sure was worth it to see the look on the driver's face, and the truck driver's face.

Gotta love the capabilities of these rigs.

2. tarbe

tarbe

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
    Pretty expensive pull, but I hear what you are saying about the satisfaction...

Funny how folks look at the name (Lexus) and don't realize it is a Land Cruiser.

Oh well, their loss, our gain!

3. Jman

Jman

LOL, why didn't he use the tractor?

Sorry about the strap, I assume the side on the spring is what got ruined. . . .