Strange Vibration Help - Have Searched Archives (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks, I need help sourcing a vibration my truck has developed (99 LX470). In the last few thousand miles, I have developed a fairly significant vibration between 65-72 mph, between 2,100-2,300 RPM, and only in 4th gear (my top gear). A few things worth noting:

- I start feeling it in the steering wheel, but the entire car shakes.
- If I drop the transmission to neutral during the shaking it gets some better, but doesn't go away completely.
- I recently replaced the steering rack/LBJ's/UCA's/sway bar end links, and all is good and tight.
- The tires have been on the truck for over a year without prior issues.
- Rear upper and lower control arms have been replaced within the last few years.

My thought is that is is likely the u-joints, but I haven't singled them out. I went under the truck and grabbed both yokes and pulled/pushed in every possible direction, but got no movement (granted the truck was in gear). The driveshafts are original and I'm now at 293k miles. I need to get the transfer case in neutral and recheck.

Anyone else have thoughts on what this might be? I've done nothing else to the truck recently that would cause a vibration (lift, etc.).

Thanks in advance!

I had a similar vibration and tried seemingly everything. Then in desperation I pulled off the rear driveshaft (pretty easy, only 8 bolts) and the vibration disappeared. So I bought a new DS from Toyota for $300 and now everything is perfect.

Did you grease the driveshaft recently by any chance? I think my driveshaft was probably actually fine, but the grease was all stuck on one side of the slip yoke which caused it to be unbalanced. Only 4 bolts to check for that.

Thanks guys. CV's should be fine. I completely rebuilt/rebooted them a couple years ago, and the ball bearings were in near perfect condition (no pitting/galling). I was surprised at how well they looked. If you keep the boots on them and junk out of the grease, they should last a really long time. I'm going to take another look at the driveshafts. I'm really hoping it's not the transmission and overdrive going out - I saw this come up in my search and it sounds like it might be the case. I'll have to look at the motor mounts/transmission mount as well.

Edit, not enough coffee yet

So, to bring this back to the top. I definitely have a small amount of play in the rear driveshaft at the transmission end, and rear end u-joints. The play is minimal though. I did notice that both rear shocks are literally hanging on by the bolt. The lower bushing has completely disintegrated on both rear shocks (ironman foam cell, from 2014). Do you think the rear shocks being in that state would contribute to the vibration I'm getting?

I pulled the trigger on the Bilstein 5160's. My Ironman shocks are from 2012, and have over 100k miles on them ( I don't remember them being that old!). I'm going to replace all 4 shocks and see how the truck drives. If the vibration persists, then I'm going to move on to the driveshaft. Really hoping this isn't the overdrive on the transmission...

Just to close the loop. I installed the new Bilstein 5160 shocks, and the vibration went away. This should get everyone's attention. As prone to vibration as these vehicles are, I think it's important to know that worn shocks can contribute to significant vibration during acceleration/at speed. Also, the 5160's are a much better product that the Ironman Foam Cell shocks I had previously (when new). Hope this helps someone down the road...

Keep us posted on how you like the 5160s. I’ve searched and really can’t find anything in the way of a review/thoughts on these. At least not for our trucks. Very close to doing this myself regardless as I’ve had great experiences with Bilsteins generally.

Keep us posted on how you like the 5160s. I’ve searched and really can’t find anything in the way of a review/thoughts on these. At least not for our trucks. Very close to doing this myself regardless as I’ve had great experiences with Bilsteins generally.

I'd say so far on the road they've exceeded my expectations. The truck handles much better (less body roll in corners, better dampening with expansion gaps/hard hits). Haven't had them in the dirt yet, but I'd buy them again without question over the Ironman Foam Cell shocks. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom