Strange Throttle Issues in my '99 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have been lurking on Mud for a couple of years, but have finally decided to make my first post.

I have a '99 100 series that is in pretty great condition, except for one particular issue that has been bugging me and has finally fully reared its head.

Since I first bought this vehicle (about 25k miles ago), it has sometimes - and very rarely and intermittently - lost power for a brief second, and then recovered. This was especially apparent on a trip that I took to Moab. I was hauling a trailer, and when going uphill, it would sometimes hesitate and RPM's would drop about 500 and then quickly recover.

As it started to get cold this year, I noticed another issue. On especially cold nights or mornings (15 degrees or less), I noticed that my rpms would hold after releasing my gas pedal for a few seconds. Over the last few months, this issue has gotten increasingly worse. When driving through town, my throttle seemed at some points to have a mind of its own. Sometimes, after releasing the accelerator, my rpms would hover for seconds at a time, and even increase in RPMs by over 500. I was pulling into my driveway and almost put the vehicle through my garage door one time, when it chose to accelerate on its own. Luckily, it threw it in neutral and hit the brakes. I should also note that this issue goes away for a short time after the vehicle has warmed up and the engine compartment has become heat-soaked. If I take it for a drive and the engine compartment cools down again in the cold, the issue will come back.

The final straw has been the last two days. Temperatures have dropped to -25 at night. When starting my vehicle, I have been able to get it to turn over, but it takes many tries to get it to start. From the beginning, I want to say: I have an oil pan heater installed, which I leave on overnight. I also have a dual battery setup installed, and the last few mornings, I have linked the two batteries for starting, so as to not drain them. Also, there are times where my vehicle has sat for a few hours and started with no issues. So I don't believe that I am experiencing any of the traditional cold starting issues, such as thick oil or battery issues.

But there are other times where starting is nearly impossible. The vehicle will cough, shutter, act like it is misfiring. I can audibly hear the throttle butterfly opening and closing. When the vehicle catches and tries to run, the throttle will fluctuate, and RPMs might jump up to as high as 3000 while shuddering, and then back off to 1200 and idle smoothly, only to shudder and jump back up again. This cycle continues until the vehicle warms up. After the vehicle warmed up the first day, I tried to drive it and realized that it was in limp mode. I shut it off, and the vehicle restarted without an issue and drove away fine. Also of note is that my exhaust belched out black sooty liquid that I can only guess is unburnt gasoline, by its smell.

I have only pulled two codes from this ordeal: p1128 and p1129. They only showed themselves the last two extremely cold mornings upon startup. They cleared themselves automatically after warm-up.

I have read a bit about the issues with the APPS, TPS, connections at the ECU, Throttle Motor, bad capacitors, etc.

What I want to know is: has anyone else had similar issues with their cruiser, specifically with the auto-revving and sticking accelerator, and difficulty starting in extreme cold?

Any input helps, and I appreciate you taking your time to read!

Thanks,

Jack

The P1128 means that the drive by wire throttle body has been stuck or is locked up.
Have you tried moving it by hand? Does it have any resistance (it should have some)? does the cable has too much slack? Is the TB clean? does the butterfly closes al the way after releasing the pedal?

I would check that out first and clean the TB to start

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom