Strange sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hearing a strange sound when I release the brake (intermittently) after I have been at a light. It's like a thump/clunk. It feels kinda like a sticking caliper or something brake related (which would surprise me on a '03 LC with only 49K), but after a visit to the dealer, I got a big story about drive shaft binding and fittings needing to cleaned and greased (he said that this was a more common problem on the Taucoma and 4Runner).

I'm not very literate when it comes to drive train components and their names. He supposedly cleaned and greased the front, but it is still doing it. Has anyone else experienced this? I did a search and I couldn't really find anything similiar.

Steph23 said:
I'm hearing a strange sound when I release the brake (intermittently) after I have been at a light. It's like a thump/clunk. It feels kinda like a sticking caliper or something brake related (which would surprise me on a '03 LC with only 49K), but after a visit to the dealer, I got a big story about drive shaft binding and fittings needing to cleaned and greased (he said that this was a more common problem on the Taucoma and 4Runner).
Is your brake pedal actually sticking?
I have been having a similar issue, it also happens intermittently. The brake pedal holds for a few seconds and then releases, and it also makes the sound you described. I replaced my rotors as they needed to be done, but that did not fix the issue. I spoke with a Mechanic who works on LC and he said since my pads are at 90% and new rotors that it would not be a caliper issue. He suggested putting some oil on the pivot for the brake pedal. I will give that a shot this weekend.

No...the brakes work perfectly...no pedal sticking... The mechanic at the dealer said that I had plenty of brake pad left. It's a very light thump that you can barely hear, but you can feel on the brake pedal when you release (feels as if something was stuck and released...that's the best description that I can give) it.

I started noticing this problem a month or two ago. My rear pads were almost gone and squealing. The "clunk" got pretty bad as time went by, but seems to have all but gone away since I put in new Toyota pads. I did not turn or replace rear rotors. I am not convinced the problem is gone but it seems to be.
Hope this helps.
- Mark

That was my initial thinking. I was willing to replace the pads front or rear...or both. The dealer told me that I had plenty of pad.

By the way, thanks for the responses and suggestions. Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

If you feel it in the brake pedal itself (pulsations and erratic brake behavior), woudn't it be the electronic booster in the master going bad? Search the past archives.

Lube here.... ;) The slide yoke is not sliding. Had this on every 4-wheel drive I've owned and always the same simple fix.

attachment.php

Credit to the FAQ.

Great info...thanks for all of the responses...it sounds like you guys know more than my dealer.

yup, highly likely it's the driveshaft clunk. Minor issue.

Yes, as NMuzj100 said, you can lube the slide yoke and U-joints first and see if that works. If not, remove the driveshafts and clean out all the previous lube and gunk. A problem that can happen is that the shaft gets too full of gunk and cannot compress. So go easy on lubing the slide yoke.

Thanks for the advice...Does anyone know if the powertrain warranty covers this?

Should, just go in and complain that you have a clunk in your drivetrain. They will lube it and should not change you. They have been doing this with the GX470's since they came on the market.

I just came from there and they are telling me that it is not covered, since there is nothing wrong. They told me that I could pay 2hrs labor to have the cleaning/re-lube done. Should I call Toyota or let it go?

Get one of these grease guns with a flexible "whip" head
LubApp-HandPu.jpg

and a tube of lube (NLGI No 2 Lithium Based Chassis Grease).
grease_val_allclimate.gif

nlgi.jpg

All together might be $20

Slide under the truck and lube the listed points using the "zerk " fittings.

The fix will take less time than explaining the problem to a service writer. ;)

A nice write up Here and Here written for Toyota trucks.

Do it right or beware the Lubricator.:D

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you have to remove the driveshafts to perform this procedure? Do I just loosen the bolts or do I have to completely take them off and lube up? How much grease is too much? I do believe I have the same issue with my machine..

Sorry if this was covered earlier, I may have missed it

It might have been covered a couple of times since the last post on this thread 5 years ago ... ;)

Try this FAQ thread - Lubing the driveshafts.

or

search "thunk" in the 100 forum.

I can't believe I've been posting on this board over five years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom