Strange sound after lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've developed a strange sound since lifting my 80. Current set up is OME Heavies, CC bushings, have not dropped the sway bars yet.

This is intermitten but from a stop, when I get on the gas failry good, I get a "tin" sound coming from the passenger side front. As I let off the gas, the sound will go away, back on it and it comes back sometimes. Turning to the left or right sometimes changes the sound a bit, but doesnt make it go away. It sounds like a meat slicer if anyone can relate to that?? Its a "light" or "tin" sound and sounds like something rotating. SOOOO, obviously it sounds like when the engine torques my drivline is rubbing on something right? I have crawled around under there inspecting and I cant find ANY signs of rubbing or wear? What else could it be? As I mentioned, it seems to come from the passenger side front, but I'm not positive. Lastly, just last night I passed by the passenger wheel well after a quick trip and smelled a burnt oil smell:confused: Any ideas on what I could check next?

PS. I dont feel any driveline vibration as mentioned in some recent posts.

My guess is that one of the 3 bolts that holds the arms in place is shifting slightly. I had this the first time I put a lift on my truck and had to get under there and really hoss up on them. I actually layed on my back and used my feet. Get 2 of those box wrenches from sears, 22/24 mm sized.

The oil burning might be some grease spray from the rear shaft on the exhaust. I've had this most everyt time I grease the shafts.

landtank said:
My guess is that one of the 3 bolts that holds the arms in place is shifting slightly. I had this the first time I put a lift on my truck and had to get under there and really hoss up on them. I actually layed on my back and used my feet. Get 2 of those box wrenches from sears, 22/24 mm sized.

The oil burning might be some grease spray from the rear shaft on the exhaust. I've had this most everyt time I grease the shafts.

I'll check that out, I thought we got them pretty good but it couldnt hurt to check.

......but the sound has a "rotating" quality to it, which led me to think the driveline.

Recalling previous problem reports posted by others, you may investigate an insufficiently lubricated hub spindle bushing as a possible suspect.

baxter650 said:
Drive shaft hitting swaybar? Look for witness marks.

I did check for that and didnt see anything, but I am going to have to look again when its light out .... this noise is driving me nuts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom