Strange Rogue Coolant Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after searching through every "coolant leak" thread that came up in search (a ton) I only found one reference to what I'm experiencing, and no answers.

Let me preface this by saying that 2 weeks ago I did a full flush and fill, replaced the 3 large diameter upper and lower coolant hoses, replaced the thermostat and gasket, and did my PHH. Ever since, everything's been kosher.

When I replaced the upper hose, I noticed that the outlet was deformed. I used some channel-locks and reshaped it.

Yesterday I came home, to find the Cruiser peeing red all over the garage floor. Looks like it's been leaking high on the radiator somewhere, and the fan has spread it around the front of the truck. There's a small accumulation of coolant in the battery tray.

I tightened both clamps on the upper hose, and took it for a spin. Came back to the house, and nothing. No leaks anywhere.

I drove it to work this morning (3.5mi), and noticed a few drips when I parked it.

I'm thinking it could be the deformation in the upper outlet, and I'm hoping it's not the top tank leaking. I'm going to pull the upper hose tonight, and check out the outlet, and maybe even put a second clamp on that hose to see if that stops it.

Anyone have any experiences like this? It seems that the hose is the highest point of the leak, and the most logical solution. Temp gauge is normal, and I haven't lost much coolant overall.

Thoughts?

-MK

What year is the truck?
How many miles on it?
Is it the original radiator?

My apologies:

1994 FZJ
211K miles
Not sure if it's the original radiator. It appears to be brass, and in good overall condition. If I had to guess, I'd say it's been replaced.

-MK

Id just check it again after driving it a little more as you may still be seeing stuff dripping out of the nooks and crannies from it getting blown around by the fan from before you tighten everything up .

When I first noticed it yesterday, it was dripping from a multitude of places. I dried things with a rag, tightened up the hose clapmps and went for a drive.

Came back and it wasn't leaking at all. This morning I noticed a few drips when I got from work, but it wasn't half as bad as it was initially yesterday.

I just couln't see where the leak was propagating from. In my mind, it's gotta be high, because it's wet directly underneath the upper hose. That being the highest point in the system, leads me to believe that it's starting there, running down the shoud, and hitting the fan which is spraying it everywhere.

-MK

Tighten up the top hose clamp a little more and see what happens again.

I put some nut on that clamp yesterday, I'm not sure if I can tighten it anymore.

My plan is to put a second clamp on it at lunch today and see if that stops it. If it does, I'll pull the hose and get the camp seated properly.

If it doesn't, I plan on pulling the hose to further diagnose.

I'm just wondering what else it could be...

-MK

So far so good. Got home for lunch, no leaks. Stopped at parts store for hose clamps, no leaks. Got back to work, no leaks.

Maybe it was residual from before I tightened the clamps...

We'll see. Pretty sure it's not a pinhole in the radiator, which is good. Not loosing any coolant either. Temp gauge is normal.

-MK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom