Strange Question, Which american Inline 6 Cyl GAS Engine is a good swap into a LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Grins and Giggles conversation starter ...
I've seen countless post on a diesel engine conversion into a LC.
My question is,
What american made inline six cylinder engine would make a good swap into a LC?
I'm aware that Chevrolet licensed their old six (1929 design I believe) to Toyota back in the day.
Assuming an EFI system and say a modern MSD style distributor system.
Which engine would be your choice, And WHY?

A Toyota 1FZ-FE.
Because it fits.

I wouldn't install an American inline 6 because this beats all of them unless it's a diesel.

crickets....

Grins and Giggles conversation starter ...
I've seen countless post on a diesel engine conversion into a LC.
My question is,
What american made inline six cylinder engine would make a good swap into a LC?
I'm aware that Chevrolet licensed their old six (1929 design I believe) to Toyota back in the day.
Assuming an EFI system and say a modern MSD style distributor system.
Which engine would be your choice, And WHY?

American straight 6? Wait they made a straight 6 here within last 20 years?

Last edited:
Posted this bad boy on IG today and had a ball so here we go again.

***not just cutting up, but modifying it to anything other than factory***

58B18D50-ED78-467F-BAEC-C2D15CFD6C1D.jpeg

GM Atlas I-6. Nearly as good HP/torque as the 5.3 V8. The exhaust note, not so much. Not to mention the torque curve was pretty great IIRC. I was dead set on doing one for a few years, but ended up figuring if I was going through the trouble I was had to ditch the in-line gasser exhaust note.

It’s been done before. Search user “twotonic” on here. He also did the I-5 motor:hungover:

I'd go with the simple Ford 300 (4.9) I6 EFI (and manual trans).

Think 1996 F-150: Horrible 4x4 system, dreaded front suspension and brakes, but reliable engine and trans.

Were ANY of the U S I 6 motors dual cam, 4 valves per cylinder?

Yes, the GM Atlas engine mentioned above was.

The GM 4.2 Atlas was a decent motor. At the end of it's production run it made good power, but if you are going through all the expense and hassle of the chevy motor just go with the V8 and make much more power. The old Ford 300 that was in the F150's made terrible power. A similar year Ford 300 in F150 probably made 70 less hp than even the 1FZ, 150hp vs 212hp for the 1FZ.

Last edited:
The Ford 4.9L straight 6 was actually a great truck engine, super reliable and around for an incredibly long time. That would be my pick if I had to but would still take the 1FZ over it for loads of reasons.
I've owned several ford trucks with the 240 / 300 six's in them. They were as reliable as it gets.
A friend had a 302 and my 300 would leave him in the dust. For a minute.
For pulling, they were torque monsters and would pull a mule off of a stump!
The reason for the post is, assuming I found a LC with a bad motor. And knowing they're problematic getting built "right".
An american straight six would be an option. I wouldn't be opposed to a chevy small block.

But like I say. The low end torque ( all things being even) Sixes are the bitc*** !

Well the late 4.9L 300ci Ford I6 only made 260ft/lbs yes it was a peak torque at 2000rpms, but the 1FZ makes more than that everywhere from ~1200rpms on. 260ft/lbs is about 350Nm. So there is in my opinion, not a single thing the Ford 300 I6 could do better than the 1FZ. And cost of replacement would be a lot more than a rebuild or 1FZ out of a parts truck.

graphs_lc_pick-up_4500.gif

I've owned several ford trucks with the 240 / 300 six's in them. They were as reliable as it gets.
A friend had a 302 and my 300 would leave him in the dust. For a minute.
For pulling, they were torque monsters and would pull a mule off of a stump!
The reason for the post is, assuming I found a LC with a bad motor. And knowing they're problematic getting built "right".
An american straight six would be an option. I wouldn't be opposed to a chevy small block.

But like I say. The low end torque ( all things being even) Sixes are the bitc*** !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom