Strange Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JK

Threads
I have an 89' FJ62 with 180K miles. There is a ticking sound that just started, I can hear it when the truck starts to move in "D". The tick speeds up as the engine RPM's go up. I do not hear it when sitting in neutral or stopped in "D". It sounds like it is coming from below the transmission shifter. The transmission fluid is in good condition and I have not been getting any transmission temp warning lamps etc.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'd guess it's either an exhaust tick which presents itself under load, or maybe the speedo cable gear going into the tranny making noise.

A stone stuck in the tire? Try shifting into neutral when rolling to see if its still there. Speedo cable is a good guess.

Maybe smog pump??? That's what mine was. Took it out emptied out the slurry of pieces and put it back on. NO harm done.

Thanks Chitown 40
What is and how do I fix an exhaust tick? I got underneath the engine while it was running, it sounds mechanically rough around the oil pan.
Thanks again for any suggestions.

JK said:
Thanks Chitown 40
What is and how do I fix an exhaust tick? I got underneath the engine while it was running, it sounds mechanically rough around the oil pan.
Thanks again for any suggestions.

If it is an exhaust leak and you have a variable tick based on RPM, then it will probably be leaking towards the engine rather than farther downstream. Farther downstream will cause more of a louder rumble. You can try a little seafoam through the carb or a teaspoon or two of ATF which will cause some excessive smoking and it will help you find the leak. Also having someone restrict the exhaust at the tailpipe will help show the leaking areas. If it's coming from the oil pan (use a mechanic's stethoscope or screwdriver to listen) it may be something else mechanical. Also the valve clearances make be a little loose if it sounds like its coming from the head. You can try adjusting the valves and the exhaust check first as they are the easiest to do. Then go from there.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom