'Strange' Noise...Please Advise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a 'bonified' newbie as far as LC's go...so "hello" to all and I'm thankful for such an informative site about our vehicles. I'm getting a strange 'whirring' noise coming from the rear of the vehicle in overdrive at approx. 55mph under load / acceleration...any ideas? TC, Trans., Rear Diff.? Other than this noise...the vehicle drives out great! Any / all help is very appreciated...Thanks

If its more of a whistle, it's likely somewhere in the exhaust. If it's no a whistle, could be drive train; dry ujoints, failing U joints, unbalanced drive shaft.

Cool. Thanks alot...I really don't think it is an exhaust issue. I'm going to start with the U-Joints...they probably need lubrication or replacement.

If you think its U joints, easy way to trouble shoot is to pull the drive shaft and engage your CDL. Drive like normal. If you don't have a CDL switch, there are various methods to engage it.

My experience has been that if a ujoint runs dry enough for you to hear it, then the best bet is to replace it. All the grease will do is bandaid the problem till you forget about it, only to be reminded at a less convenient time.

Karl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom