strange noise from FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mabey some of you guys can tell me what is causing a stange noise in my FJ4O. It sounds like a coffee purculator , and it only happens when I'm decelerating. other than the noise it runs fine. I have a chevy 305 and a th350 automatic tranny in it.

whereabouts does it sound like it is coming from? Might be differential gears. Does it make any noise when accelerating?

whats a coffee thingy sound like? Grinding? Whirring?

strange noise

It sounds like its coming from the front half of vehicle, mabey the tranny, transfer case, motor, or someplace else. It almost sounds like a gurgling sound that a coffee perculator makes, but only on deceleration, not when its idling or when I'm accelerating...weird.

driveshaft vibrations?

Exhaust leaks? :confused:

[It sounds like a coffee purculator]

That sounds like my 73-FJ40 when it was new. Probably the smog pump...
dfm

Could be the fan rubbing ever so slightly on the radiator or fan shroud, mine does this, been thinking about a solution.

Check your spring U-Bolts - especially if you've changed springs recently. Mine had settled & allowed a bit of slop, letting the axle twist so the pinion to driveshaft alignment changed - better alignment under acceleration, worse under deceleration - causing the universal to complain. Also accompanied by a noticeable "CLUNK" when going on or off the throttle.

I will check those things

I'll check those things you guys mentioned,exhaust leaks, coolant, one thing I've never tghought of is minor backfiring. Its a hard noise to track down because the only time it does it is when I'm driving and decelerating. I thought it might be the chain in the transfer case, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the replies

bushwacker said:
I'll check those things you guys mentioned,exhaust leaks, coolant, one thing I've never tghought of is minor backfiring. Its a hard noise to track down because the only time it does it is when I'm driving and decelerating. I thought it might be the chain in the transfer case, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the replies

Please let us know if you find the problem , I have a similar noise
sounds almost like a belt noise while running (but it isn't)
then when the engine stops with the key off
it sound like a tea kettle for a few secons :) almost like it buids steam and releses it when stopped

Are you sure its not exhaust back pressure?
My 2 cents would agree with exhaust leak or coolant system, but when i decelerate I love the gurgling noise my exhaust makes.

bushwacker said:

There is no chain in your transfer case

It is detonation of air/unburned fuel in the hot exhaust manifold. This is one of the things that the "smog control" system controls and eliminates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom