Strange liquid under radiator cap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yo guys !
My old radiator cracked 3 months ago,
during this time car was stationary.
Nobody started the engine.
The old coolant didn't look good, it was dark and a little "thick" ?.
2 weeks ago I add 12l new coolant( into new radiator, without flushing hoses and engine), yesterday I started the car,
drove ~ 10 km and this morning cap show me ->
radiatorcap.jpg

Any idea whats happend here? ...head Gasket?
:rofl:

My toyota is FZJ 80 1996, 240k mils

hmm what coolant was in it. what coolant did you put in? be specific including color. Did you use any sealants previously in the coolant in the past? Radiator cracked previously due to impact, freezing, overheating? Did you see the crack in the old radiator or assume it was cracked because you were loosing coolant and having to refill?

what coolant did you put in
Standard antifreeze coolant -35*C color- red/rose
Did you use any sealants previously in the coolant in the past?
no, not sure if previous owner use, prob no.
Radiator cracked previously due to impact, freezing, overheating?
due to impact, generaly liquid was inside, but radiator leaking little on bottom. Radiator got vertical "lines" in which the fluid is moving. These lines on bottom was damaged.(squeezed toogether)
you were loosing coolant and having to refill?
yes exactly.
Thanks for answer !

There is a portion of the radiator, usually the very bottom few rows, that is used by the transmission for maintaining transmission oil temps. If the radiator cracked it could have been because the transmission section compromised the coolant-only portion and over-pressurized the radiator. So you want to look at the transmission fluid to ensure it's not been contaminated. That fluid should only look reddish in color, no haziness, etc. It might be dark, but it's important that it does not have coolant in it. If it has then do not drive it anymore. You need to flush the ATF, drive like 10 miles and do it again. The coolant in the transmission will cause premature failure of the transmission.

I assume you have an 80 series without a manual transmission.
Ok so since it is impact that caused the damage, I would also think you might have ATF contamination. the lower portion where the ATF coolant lines connect to the radiator has a tank that could have experienced a crack and leak between the ATF cooling portion and the antifreeze (coolant) "tank". It is getting cold in Poland so I would recommend you flush the system and maybe run distilled water for a drive cycle or two. Then replace with good antifreeze. Inspect the water when it comes out to see if it has new contamination. You cannot leave the distilled water in the system for too long as cold temperatures will be dangerous so do the flush the same day.

You have a separate powersteering cooler that looks something like a paperclip.

Last edited:
im not sure what exactly version my land cruiser is, and im not sure for what i bought this car, and why :) just looks great for me
There is some info from VIN Plate:
MFD BY Toyota Motor Corporation DATE 08/96
C/TR 6M1/LB42 A/TM K294/A343F FZJ80L-GNPEKA
NO 77 MADE IN JAPAN

You need to flush the ATF, drive like 10 miles and do it again.
okay, u recommend any specific flush fluid ? You mean to...drain old mix atf with coolant -> flush -> fill new atf-> drive 10miles -> drain atf -> flush -> fill new atf ?
flush the system and maybe run distilled water for a drive cycle or two
okay, try it.

I'm more worried it might be a cracked head...hope there is everything good

Thanks for help
appreciate

Focus on What @SHIfTHEAD wrote on the Automatic transmission flushing process as that is more important than the coolant flush right now. once you do that then return to do the coolant flush portion that i mentioned.

If the vehicle is running well, and you are not smelling coolant burning out the exhaust then, don't get too focused on the headgasket yet.

Did you stop and pick up a Starbucks Double mocha Latte with two pumps of half-caff light cream and an extra shot of espresso for the truck?

I would drain and flush with distilled water 4-5 times, then refill with Toyota Red coolant at the proper mix.

im not sure for what i bought this car, and why :)
lol
There is some info from VIN Plate:
MFD BY Toyota Motor Corporation DATE 08/96
C/TR 6M1/LB42 A/TM K294/A343F FZJ80L-GNPEKA
NO 77 MADE IN JAPAN
Now you're just showin' off. :rofl: Take care of that one, whatever it takes. 👍

Ok, back to useful input from others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom