Strange idle after 200 mile trip... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took my '87 (stock 2F) on a 400 mile road trip this weekend (200 miles each way), and experienced some wierd stuff going on at idle. Here's the story:

I was running late on my way down, so I gassed up and drove straight there without stopping. After 200 miles of interstate driving (speedo at approx 65 mph on 31 in tires - around 3000 RPM), my engine wouldn't idle once I got off the interstate. I had to keep the RPMs up to keep from stalling (which I did a few times at stoplights). Parked the truck for 6 hours, got back in and it did the same thing. Drove 2 blocks to my hotel and left it overnight. When I cranked it up the next afternoon, there was no problem and it hasn't done it since, including when I got back home after driving the 200 miles back.

What do you think the issue is? Considering I got 16.2 miles/gallon on the way down (I couldn't believe it either), I think the engine is tuned pretty well. Idle typically sits at around 700-800 RPM.

Thanks for your help!

quietmike,

when it stalled after getting off the interstate, was it difficult to restart or did it fire right up?

There are some emissions things that get activated only with a warm engine. If one of the vac lines in these sytems is leaking it would only show up after the vehicle had warmed up. EGR is one of them I belive, and will kill your engine at idle. Get an emissions manual and check your vac lines.

A hot carb can also cause this problem I think (vapor lock), so if your carb fan isn't coming on after a long drive check that also.

Thanks, guys. It fired right up after it stalled with no problem at all, and my carb fan works like a charm. The engine didn't appear to get any hotter than when I'm doing my daily commute (5 interstate miles), but I do have a little of that temp gauge/fuel gauge flicker that's pretty common so it's hard to know precisely where the engine temp is.

I just figured she got mad at me for running so long without giving her a break...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom