Strange Electrical issue need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for insight on some electrical issues I’m having:
It’s a japanese import 1995 1fzfe

About a week ago truck didn’t start. No crank, no lights nothing. Messed with battery terminals / fusible link and removed all aux wiring and occasionally truck would have power after I disconnected and reconnected the battery wiring but would lose all power again. Later Found that the main fuse box negative had jostled out of its connection. Fixed it and went on my way.

10+ days later a bunch of warning lights come on the dash the other day, assumed it was alternator as it was only charging at 11.7 volts. Not EVERY dash warning light was illuminated however, no CEL or air box restriction warning light-- just A/T temp, charging light, oil low warning and cat overheat light.

Continued driving last 2 days as new denso alternator is in the mail.

Today truck cranked fine but didn’t start at all. Replaced the fusible link and now it’s charging 14.7v again and started, but the idle is so low that it stalls and dies. Still driving it as its my daily, just using the hand throttle to keep rpms at about 750 so it doesn't die. (80's always can get you home)

*Noticed The AM1 main junction block off the fusible link had one of the terminal studs melting into the plastic when I replaced the fusible link. Not crazy, but noticibly melted the plastic around the eyelet connectors. the AM1 Main junction block is just an actual wingnut molded into the plastic holder so all that shows me is there was a large load on the old fusible link wiring.

Anyone have an issue like this before? I’m tired of having to fix this thing every day after work just to get home every day.

So i don't know if you necessarily have an electrical issue or just need to relearn your idle. I've had this happen on my 95 supra when the battery dies from not driving it. When the ECU is disconnected from the battery, it sometimes has to relearn idle. Sometimes it starts and isles fine. Other times i have to hold the throttle to keep it idling and slowly let off over the course of 5 to 10 mins until it idles on it's own. You may try that and see if it idles afterwards.

Fuel, Spark, Air - but if you have the AM1 melting I'd say you have a short / faulty part somewhere in that chain.

Seems like you have identified a few issues already, that being said you have been moving wires around more than the normally move while you install alternator, fusable links and fixing a ground. Also new alternator putting out more than those wires have had in a while. So i would be looking at all ground straps and then checking under and in the fuse box for corrosion etc. Only costs you time to clean things up. I would especially make sure the ecu has a good ground and you find a good pos 12v connection...maybe use a headlight as a test light to see if it can handle any current.. your test light won't pull enough to let you know how well it handles current.

I had a strange intermittent no start no cel, it ended up being a bad splice in the line from the fusible link to the alternater

Any fuses in the fuse box blown?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom