Strange Door Lock problem on LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anybody know what might be causing my rear door locks on my 96 LX450 to automatically lock any time I make a sharp left hand turn? The dome light also flashes for a brief moment at the same time as the locks engage - very strange indeed! Anyone ever come across this before? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. - Tim

as CDan pointed out to me...way back when...

Those things on the "B" and "C" pillars are called strikers.

Check the screws that hold them on.

In the past, I had problems with them unlocking, no locking. The dome light would flash though.
A sharp left turn would indicate a loose screw on the passenger side striker.

NorCalDoug said:
as CDan pointed out to me...way back when...

Those things on the "B" and "C" pillars are called strikers.

Check the screws that hold them on.

In the past, I had problems with them unlocking, no locking. The dome light would flash though.
A sharp left turn would indicate a loose screw on the passenger side striker.

Thanks Doug - I'll give it a try!

credit goes to nakman :D

When I checked mine, 1 screw was loose by just a quarter turn, but it was enough cause prolbems.

if it's not the striker, it could be your door switch. There should be some threads about door switches in the archives.

credit goes to nakman

Too kind, sir.. I get points off because I didn't know the "striker" lingo. :D :cheers:
bowdown.gif

NorCalDoug said:
credit goes to nakman :D

When I checked mine, 1 screw was loose by just a quarter turn, but it was enough cause prolbems.

if it's not the striker, it could be your door switch. There should be some threads about door switches in the archives.

Just checked striker plates and they're tight - must be in the switch itself I guess - will try and figure it out.

I had the same probem way back when and my strikers are all tight.

With the door closed, can you push on it from the inside and see the dome or dash light come on? If so, you have a worn plunger. It's the thing that sets off the door light. It's in the door jamb. Either replace it, or do what I did. Add a stick-on felt pad to the opposite location on the door (flat spot). The pads are used to keep furniture legs from scratching the floor.

I had this problem and merely tightened the two latch screws within the door jamb. You should be able to replicate the problem by just pushing on the door (no need to be turning a corner). These screws loosen slightly with time causing the auto door lock system to trigger. Torque them down really tight.

I disconnected my drivers door plunger so that the buzzer would not come on when I open the door. Only problem is the dome light does not come on when I open the door. I figured it was well worth the trade off.
Cheers,
Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom