Strange corrosion inside water pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Changing the timing belt and found a lot of dust and debris behind the covers and on the cam gears/wheels that the belt drives.

When I pulled off the water pump there was some strange corrosion coming out of what appears to be a weep hole.

Any ideas? Is there something I need to check before I start putting it back together?

Thanks!

8A39CAAE-C0B2-494B-8592-99E135F63BC0.jpeg

75CD50B7-7983-45B2-8860-82E32F2B0D24.jpeg

That mostly looks corrosion-free. That red clumpy stuff looks like dried coolant from a gasket leak. Just clean up the mating surface really nicely on the engine side before putting the new gasket on, and you should be good.

Just to clarify, you are putting a new water pump on, right?

That mostly looks corrosion-free. That red clumpy stuff looks like dried coolant from a gasket leak. Just clean up the mating surface really nicely on the engine side before putting the new gasket on, and you should be good.

Just to clarify, you are putting a new water pump on, right?

Yes, putting on new pater pump... And when I compared this with the new one, I noticed that it’s some kind of weeping hole/channel that goes to where the pump axel/bearing is which is why I was a little concerned.

Thanks!

Yes, putting on new pater pump... And when I compared this with the new one, I noticed that it’s some kind of weeping hole/channel that goes to where the pump axel/bearing is which is why I was a little concerned.

Thanks!
What type of pump are you using? If it's different, I'm guessing it's non-OEM. There are some okay non-OEM options sometimes, but I would be hesitant to go with aftermarket parts on anything that deep in the engine. It would be a real bummer to have to take all of that apart again next year because of a premature water pump failure.

What type of pump are you using? If it's different, I'm guessing it's non-OEM. There are some okay non-OEM options sometimes, but I would be hesitant to go with aftermarket parts on anything that deep in the engine. It would be a real bummer to have to take all of that apart again next year because of a premature water pump failure.

It’s Aisin… Which is ORM, right?

5D01612E-AD1D-49F0-932C-6CFD7FEF5088.jpeg

It’s Aisin… Which is ORM, right?
Yeah, that's what you want. As long as you purchased from a legit parts supplier. There are a lot of counterfeit parts coming out of China that are getting sold as Aisin, Bosch, Denso, etc. They're even counterfeiting spark plugs these days, so you just have to be careful where you source your parts from. Be very cautious about picking up parts from eBay, although there are a lot of legit sellers on there as well.

Yeah, that's what you want. As long as you purchased from a legit parts supplier. There are a lot of counterfeit parts coming out of China that are getting sold as Aisin, Bosch, Denso, etc. They're even counterfeiting spark plugs these days, so you just have to be careful where you source your parts from. Be very cautious about picking up parts from eBay, although there are a lot of legit sellers on there as well.

I believe I purchased from Amazon last year… I really don’t use eBay much anymore.

Update: Yes, purchased on Amazon from the “Aisin Store.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom