Strange and Random Ticking Gremlin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, I've searched my arse off and can't find a reference to something similar anywhere.

Vehicle: 1993 80. Factory lockers. Basically Stock minus running boards.

Here's my issue: From somewhere in, near or behind my glovebox, there is a ticking sound that emanates at random. What it sounds like is a series of very quick electric switch sounding ticks in a random pattern.

[ticka, ticka, tick, {quick pause}, ticka, tick, {quick pause}, ticka, ticka, tick]

Usually lasts for just a second or two and I've tried to establish a pattern of causative behaviors but cannot. It happens with AC on or off, with radio on or off. While moving, and while sitting. Sometimes it will fire off once during my 20 minute commute, sometimes not at all. And sometimes it will fire off several times in a row, for a series of series of ticks.

So, WTF, mang?!

By the way, this is my first post so… :flipoff2:

Thanks in advance,
uurys

Thats what I was trying to say when I said it does it with the AC on and off, but I wasnt as specific as I shoulda been. With the fan off I think it still does it. I'll check on my way home.

Thanks

I drove around for an hour this afternoon. Trying to get it to tick so I could shut the fan off. It never did. I'll try again tomorrow.

Anyone else with a clue bout this?

Cheers

There is a fan behind the radio and to the passenger side of center in the dash on a 93. "Maybe" the blades are hitting something. From what I could tell this is on all the time. Does it have an after market radio? Perhaps someone got a wire too close to the blades but again this is just a guess.

Is it an electrical tick or possibly a rattle? I have a plastic rattle that I swore was something in the glove box. Turned out to be the trim piece down at the passenger foot area on the right-side. There is a plastic clip that fastens this piece to the firewall, and mine would rattle during various engine vibrations at stop, accel, etc.

Just a thought if yours could be a plastic rattle.

OK. So I've been monitoring this issue for a while now trying to definitively answer Ebag's question as to whether or not the ticking stops when I turn off the fan. The answer is yes it does. It only occurs if the fan is running. If I catch it fast enough and turn the fan off, the ticking stops immediately.

Again, this seems to happen totally randomly otherwise. So, Ebag, what do you think?

Thanks,
uurys

if you or anyone driving the truck have cleanliness issues (throw trash on the floor) you might find a gas receipt or poptart wrapper gets sucked into the fan frrom the passenger side floor board

even if you do keep the interior clean you might also have some pine straw or other debris get sucked into the fan from the cowl vents on the outside

in the hunded thousand miles ive had my 96 ive had that fan out three times

blows a hell of a lot better after getting the poptart wrapper out of there

let me see if i can find pictures of this

Last edited:
heres a couple pictures of the fan housing (held on with three phillips screws)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...-passenger-side-footwell-its-pain-winter.html

last (blurry) pic has the little flap and the wire linkage that you need to disconnect to get housing off

then

fan istelf has two or three 10 or 12 mm bolts and an electrical connection

last time i did this i was laying upside down on passenger seat

takes less than 5 minutes

helps to have a kid out there with you to hand you your tools.... even better if the kid can do the screw turning so you arent getting dizzy lying on your back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom