Strange A440 behavior (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pulling into the driveway this afternoon and my transmission started acting funny. While reversing in I have to jump a pretty good size curb and the jolt of popping the back wheels over seemed to pop the truck out of gear. Same thing happened when popping the front wheels over. Both times I shifted back to park and then reverse again and heard the common clunk of the gear engaging so I dont think the trans was just slipping. Trans has 300k on it but was rebuilt (poorly I think) at 270k and it leaks like a sieve - roughly 1 quart a month just sitting in the driveway.

Any ideas on what this could be? I have an H55 waiting in the wings but am wondering if the timeline for that should be accelerated a bit haha

Thanks

It’s the h55f voodoo smoke. Put it in.

I’d at least try a Rodney flush to keep it running as you save up for parts.

It’s a shame to have a cruiser down for any reason.

I have not heard of good rebuilds of these transmissions. Very few out there that know how to do it. H55f brings the engine to life. You wil like it. Save up for the conversion, not on rebuilding.

New developments: crawled under to get a better idea of my leak situation and found two things
1. transfer case was over 1 qt low and semi filled with AFT
2. looks like the gasket between the transfer and trans is popping out/ripped and part of the front face looks cracked? See pics attached.

did who ever last worked on the transfer case drop it or something?

bad idea do a 500+ mile drive like this? :rolleyes:

IMG_2654.jpg

there a some good rebuilds out there, they just cost close to an H55 swap.
the transfer should not have ATF in it. did it originally have gear oil in it? or did a PO use ATF instead of gear oil, it wouldn't be the first time

New developments: crawled under to get a better idea of my leak situation and found two things
1. transfer case was over 1 qt low and semi filled with AFT
2. looks like the gasket between the transfer and trans is popping out/ripped and part of the front face looks cracked? See pics attached.

did who ever last worked on the transfer case drop it or something?

bad idea do a 500+ mile drive like this? :rolleyes:

View attachment 2783593
Get AAA and drive it!

I'm trying to figure out if I've burnt my A440 up. A couple of weeks ago, a turbo like noise started when under load on the road. Then I was out and after 20 mph it lost gear. Switching to lower gears did not help. What did help is turning the engine off and back on, it then caught the gear for a little while then lost it again. After 10 more restarts, I got it home.

I'm suspecting gear oil got into the tranny and now there is way too much fluid in there. it smells burnt as I'm sure it was just heating up.

I'll flush the ATF and check things out but it may be the end of my A440.

Anyone else had their tranny go out like that?

I'm trying to figure out if I've burnt my A440 up. A couple of weeks ago, a turbo like noise started when under load on the road. Then I was out and after 20 mph it lost gear. Switching to lower gears did not help. What did help is turning the engine off and back on, it then caught the gear for a little while then lost it again. After 10 more restarts, I got it home.

I'm suspecting gear oil got into the tranny and now there is way too much fluid in there. it smells burnt as I'm sure it was just heating up.

It could be overheating. That seems to be a common problem with these trucks that leads to a lot of the issues you guys have. I’m on the “throw an H55F in it” wagon.... start saving for one. You’ll love it. In the mean time I would drain the tranny and the tcase. Refill and monitor for a while and see if the problem continues. You may be able to run it for a long time if you keep your eye on the fluid and maybe get a transmission cooler installed. But seriously. Five speed.

totally agree about the H55. I drove one and automatically asked what engine was in there... haha. I have a cooler and have rebuilt the transfer case in the past because of the leaking seal between the A440 and the transfer case. Seems like there's just a mismatch that allows for easier fluid transfer between the two on mine. Already bought the ATF and Gear OIl, I'll see how much that helps.

The seal between the transfer case and trans went out on mine. I had fluid coming out of the dip stick tube! But it still shifted fine. I had the H55F swap done then. It was not cheap, prepare to spend more than Mud makes you believe.

I have , but not an a440f. It was a cherokee,[ Aisin AW-4] and it was behaving like yours, barely any drive in any gears. Cleaned the mesh screen, new atf, and it revived it for about 5000 km's. Then it died completely. [the atf was black sludge].

Last edited:
My T case was full of ATF but since I have such a healthy leak I havent had issues with fluid imbalances in either - it all ends up on the ground :p

I know the H55s have a way to let fluid get back into the T case to equalize the pressure or something, I would guess the A440f doesnt have that?

Anyho - I just managed to snag a 1HZ so ill be ditching both the 3fe and A440f hopefully soon :grinpimp:

My T case was full of ATF but since I have such a healthy leak I havent had issues with fluid imbalances in either - it all ends up on the ground :p

I know the H55s have a way to let fluid get back into the T case to equalize the pressure or something, I would guess the A440f doesnt have that?

the A440F uses ATF in the trans, the splitcase transfer uses gear oil.
they shouldn't be mixing at all.

I don't think ATF in the splitcase is very good for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom