Builds STPCHLD, a 3/70 FJ40, Get's a Frame Up! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Prayers are working. The surgeon said he has never seen an injury this severe, yet he got Gene to wiggle fingers and toes on both sides after surgery. He'll get the breathing tube out in the morning. I'll be there early tomorrow and maybe be there when he awakens. Prayers and the fact that he's so ornery that the paralysis was afraid of him.

Thanks @Michael B

sorry to hear about your friend and mentor. glad to hear surgery went well and he’s gaining some function. that’s indeed a good sign.

though you’re likely not thinking much about your truck at this time may i ask one question. what did you paint your frame with? it’s a beautiful finish!!

Gene's a rock. Don't really know how fast he will recover. We just know he's got a long road in front of him. I've often referred to him as "a walking automotive encyclopedia". Not a lot about him but you can google "Gene McCrickard" Most of the most impressive stuff isn't on there under him name.

Late Sunday update:
They got the breathing tube out finally around lunch and about an hour or so later had him up on his feet! Stood under his own power. No walking yet but the morphine was still in control. I hope to see him walking tomorrow. I'll leave this alone for a while and add a footnote in a few days. (Don't want to hijack my own thread.)

@franklin40 , the frame is powder coated. The guy here in Nashville is a magician. He covers more with powder than anyone else I've ever seen. It'll last for many decades.

Last edited:
PAINT!

We have paint. Everything but the windshield frame and the tub. That's tomorrow. Gotta get it quickly in the morning so @oldschool4wheeling and I can go up to the Good Guys Nashville Nat's.

Man oh man does the stuff look good. These shots don't do any justice. I'm serious, the panels look amazing. It's so interesting that from just a few feet away, you can't tell it's a pearl paint. I never would've agreed to this color if I hadn't seen it up close first. "Pearl" would've driven me away. The metal flake in the paint is so small, it's barely noticeable. I'm just loving it!

I just couldn't help but put a few pieces on. Even if it is my wife's birthday.

apron inside.jpeg
Hood dressed.jpeg
outside new.jpeg

And once again, as I look at this last shot, the paint doesn't look that dark in person. Really. It's magic.

Last edited:
And then there was the tub. Hope to have this on the frame next week. It'll look like a truck again before I know it.

Did I say I like this color? Sorry...

Making room in the two spot garage is a little bit of a challenge but made some this morning. Gotta get the tub out of the rain. But it going to have to wait a little while. No time today... BUT! I got this done first thing today with the help of my son-in-law.

Still have some work to do on the engine clean up but I'm getting close.
Engine in too.jpeg
Engine in.jpeg

There's going to be a short spell of slowing down here. I'll try to get things done for therapy but...

Gene passed away last night.

Sorry to hear about Gene. Sounds like he is in a much better place now.
JP

On a brighter and much happier note:

Ahhhhhhh...

Tub on. Check.
Wheels on. Check.
Hub caps wrestled with and conquered. CHECK!
Nothing a rubber mallet and a really really good guess can't handle. Man. They really didn't want to go on those new wheels...

Tub n caps.jpeg

(even stuck an old RAINMAN plate on it for fun.)

I’m assuming you added 100% more lug nuts before you put those hub caps on.

They're Toyota Cement Gray. Late model color just like the body. If the owner ever has a bender, it'll be easy to get a paint match. I was wanting Heath Gray from the '70s but it was tough to get a match. Love this color anyway. It looks so much better in person. These shots aren't doing it any favors.

Last edited:
It looked like the cement body, but just wanted to double check. Looks great. I'm guessing not available in rattle cans anywhere?

The last week has been slow. I'm sure you can guess why. The lists I make every few days usually get done in a day or two. It'll come back but I just feel like I'm in slow motion lately.

But easy progress is still progress so I decided to do some simple stuff. A few hours of sorting out the last 30lb zinc run. (Thanks @Michael B ) And putting together the rear end of the tub. Fun stuff.

Tweaking the rear doors and the spare rack is still in order. The rectangular pad on the bottom corner of the carrier is preventing the latch from reaching the hook. May have to space the hook out from the tub. Also the left door is tweaked out at the bottom. Nothing a little grunt won't fix... I think. Also, both doors rub the tub a little bit along the hinge sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom