Builds STPCHLD, a 3/70 FJ40, Get's a Frame Up! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Out. No need to do it myself if a place will do a great job at a great price.

Guys,

I know at least one of you knows the answer to this:
I didn't want the ugly header on this super clean truck. SO I opted to buy a used F engine exhaust manifold and new exhaust pipes. Test fitting the down pipe a minute ago, I noticed the gasket doesn't fit inside the flange. No way. There isn't a boss for anything. Installing the gasket would leave it completely exposed so therefore, it wouldn't do any good. What do I do? The pipe fits in the hole okay, not a tight fit but easy access. Is there some other gasket I need? Or is it a crush fit gasket?

O know you can't see the hole but you can barely tell it's way smaller than the gasket.

@whitey45 , you have any idea?

Last edited:
Never mind guys. I got it.

I hope to have this baby running in a bout two weeks. No promises, just a guess.

Exhaust is roughed in. Windshield and all it's paraphernalia is in. The engine compartment is mostly in. The wire harness is roughed in. I'm almost finished with some other installs other than waiting for Wednesday's pick up of the last batch of plating. Seat brackets are figured out. Hope to have them back from modification tomorrow and get them to the powder coater. Those and the soft top bows will all be done soon. I'm dying to put the rest of the sheet metal on but since the steering box is giving me fits, it's may be another week. CRAP!

Asking for some help:

I've put a want ad out on the classifieds but need a new F engine Valve Cover post haste. Anyone know where I can get one (doesn't have to be new) without selling the farm? I'll need a new gasket too. I'm planning to crank it up next week but can't before I get a new cover... obviously. Once again SOR has made me hate them. What an ass. Not even going to look.

Asking for some help:

I've put a want ad out on the classifieds but need a new F engine Valve Cover post haste. Anyone know where I can get one (doesn't have to be new) without selling the farm? I'll need a new gasket too. I'm planning to crank it up next week but can't before I get a new cover... obviously. Once again SOR has made me hate them. What an ass. Not even going to look.

Sorry to hear, if I was closer than an hour away I'd swing by and see if he'd look for a walk-in. If you don't find anything, I might be passing by that way this weekend.

All things steering.

Have a refurbed wheel on the way. it's SO nice!

I'm also in the middle of trying to save the steering box. Leaked horribly and sourcing a new side seal. Had some sand it is also, so good that I've opened it up to get that out. Everything inside looks great. No damage or rust issues. As soon as I can get this back together, I'll be able to put at least the driver's side fender on. I'll save the other fender for later this week after we get it running.

IMG_2764.JPG

Credit @Birdhead

IMG_2768.jpeg

Watch this space in the next few days. (holding off on pictures til something great happens.)

Today, the replacement valve cover came. Thanks @pardion . It's cleaned up and mostly painted.
Tomorrow, oooooohh, tomorrow, the FST shows up! I can't wait to get that baby on the truck. From my new close red headed buddy now, @Julie2006
I'm electrically ignorant so wiring slows everything down. With a little help from time to time, I can get it together. I've got a few things to figure out how to connect on the new wire harness.

FINALLY!

It's here! The day the whole body is assembled. And with the bonus of the new top. Anchor Stitch, DirtRoadTops.com FST is one for the books. On this awesome Toyota color, it looks almost like a slick dress suit.

So hopefully next week it'll be drivable. Enjoy:
Full body 1.jpeg

Full body 3.jpeg

Thanks guys...

Yeah, that’s a cream puff. When you paintin’ the stripes? 😛😛😛

My internet has been down. First try to post from my phone.

SO damn close. Feels good to get a tag on it! It won’t be long now...
1132174B-9938-44DA-9297-F778D879C2F2.jpeg

I love the license plate:

Is 9 4 n 4?
No, it's 4 n 5.

AHHAaahahaahhahahahaa. TN math maybe?

Last edited:
Okay. Here's the (just maybe) complete list of what has been done to this Cruiser. I may have to edit it when things come to mind but it's pretty much everything. I'm waiting on the last order I believe of the remaining little stuff I needed. Should have it running within hours after the parts arrive on Friday.

•All new metal in rust areas: Tops of inner fenders and rocker panels.
•No rust found over rear fender wells or in any of the doors, the bib, windshield frame, or hood.
•Powder coated frame, brackets, seat racks, dash panels, roll bar, soft top bows, and tie rods.
•New bearings and seal in rear differential.
•New rear axle seals.
•Rebuilt steering knuckles.
•Refreshed Asco locking hubs.
•Completely new brakes: New late model wheel cylinders, new calipers, new shoes and pads, new rotors, and new lines. A new booster and dual master cylinder. The truck was converted to a totally new late model brake setup with the later model brake line routing using Rainman’s Brake Lines.
•New wheel bearings.
•Steering box rebuilt.
•F engine
•Rebuilt Toyota carburetor.
•Rebuilt Toyota Fuel Pump.
•New Toyota exhaust.
•Factory 3 speed with floor shift conversion.
•It is believed that the truck has 137,000 original miles.
•New upholstery on front and rear seats. Jump seats have all new padding.
•Added factory roll bar with updated under fender supports.
•New BFG 33x10.50R15 All Terrain tires.
•New Old Man Emu suspension lift kit.
•New, top end, factory style soft top made by Anchor Stitch, Dirt Road Tops (Land Cruiser Soft-Tops).
•Rebuilt wiper motor assembly.
•New clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bushing.
•New gas tank.
•New “Coolerman” wire harness.
•New front and rear Toyota bumpers.
•All new or newly zinc plated hardware.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom