Builds STPCHLD, a 3/70 FJ40, Get's a Frame Up! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, Murphy isn't someone I know but he showed up here again. New line, hose, slave, no go. The fork moves about 3/4" with a very soft pedal. Going to install a new master tomorrow. It's just got to be that now. There's nothing left. Bleeding over and over and not getting any air is just wrong. I've promised myself I'd drive this truck to the next group meeting on Tuesday night. Surly this will do the trick. What still puzzles me is that the clutch worked fine last year. It did go from a 3 speed pressure plate to a 4 speed version. Are they that different that they overkill the system?
Rainey, are you sure the clutch disc is installed properly?

That's the worst thought of the month. o_O I get your point though.

What I actually believe is that this engine and transmission were pulled from a driving FJ55. The t-case was removed before I got it but that's it. I will have to contact the seller today and verify that. (please... no... Let's NOT have to pull the drive train out. :frown:)

That's the worst thought of the month. o_O I get your point though.

What I actually believe is that this engine and transmission were pulled from a driving FJ55. The t-case was removed before I got it but that's it. I will have to contact the seller today and verify that. (please... no... Let's NOT have to pull the drive train out. :frown:)
Sorry for bringing it up, I had forgotten that it was out of a running truck. I didn’t realize you hadn’t taken it apart.

No. That's okay. All options are always on the table. I did just talk to him though and he assured me it was a driver. It started coming apart about 2 years ago. So the fact that the engine runs so well, I'll bet the clutch itself is fine.

Now. Take a deeeeep breath...

I'll report after the master goes in later.

I hold my breath. I fitted a new throw out bearing and carrier when replacing the drive train in the bare chassis frame. 2 years later with everything done and ready to go - no clutch.... Toyota supplied wrong parts and I fitted without testing. I hope you're OK.

Answered prayers!

62490999705__A452B611-6CA0-4805-99D6-6B603416936A.jpeg

and Angus helped...

The right combination of cylinders, and looking in the bell housing, "Well I'll be", the clutch fork / bearing clips were off. Apparently on install day, I remember while we were dropping in the drive train, there was an issue getting everything go go in without rubbing here and there. One of the items was the clutch fork and one of the rear mounts. Wriggling the fork to keep it off the frame apparently rattled the clips off. AND, the throwout bearing had turned and the two tabs were no longer in line on the fork. THAT was at least half of it. SO, two clips back in and everything bottomed up... I gave Briggs the inaugural ride.

And just as I knew it would, it revealed instantly some items to address. Carb adjustments and a front end alignment to start with.

Good Dog!

Last edited:
Down to the short hairs now. I'm a list kind of guy and after pages and pages of lists to check off 1 at a time. I'm down to a very short list of only about a half dozen items til she's done. Several of them are electrical and I'm not very good at diagnostics in that department but I'll get through it or someone will pitch in. It's not serious stuff.

I made this list for the buyer. Check this out:
Specs.jpg

Last edited:
I really... really don't want to post this. But it is a record of what's going on with this truck from start to finish.

Jury is still out but I guess I have to say par for the course, I think while taking the Cruiser out for it first decent length ride of 9 miles out and fill up... 9 miles back. It didn't make it back. I think it's a connector rod in two pieces. Feels like someone banging on the truck (engine speed) with a sledge hammer.

Two engines. Two failures. It's really souring me.

OH! And just last night I got word that my cancer is gone!!! Excitement only lasted a few hours...

Have no doubt. I'm greatful for my closure of the battle against cancer. It's praise worthy.

Having a complete rebuild on a Cruiser and have an engine fail not once but twice is emotionally crippling. I failed to mention that I also found out within minutes of this failure, my Hemi in the '32 had both head gaskets installed backwards. No oil getting to the rockers.

Bad day to say the least. I settled in to watch an action movie this afternoon and it's doing it's job. Forgetting both for a while.

I really... really don't want to post this. But it is a record of what's going on with this truck from start to finish.

Jury is still out but I guess I have to say par for the course, I think while taking the Cruiser out for it first decent length ride of 9 miles out and fill up... 9 miles back. It didn't make it back. I think it's a connector rod in two pieces. Feels like someone banging on the truck (engine speed) with a sledge hammer.

Two engines. Two failures. It's really souring me.

OH! And just last night I got word that my cancer is gone!!! Excitement only lasted a few hours...

From one cancer survivor to another ..... congratulations!!!!! Forget the motor ..... celebrate LIFE😀😀😀

Thanks McKay. I'm trying. Of course celebrating in 2020 isn't like it used to be. My daughter, who lives all the way up in Seattle, even sent me 20 bucks to celebrate with when she heard I was out of beer when I got the good news.

I'll be okay. The bruise just hurts a little while... No scar.

Last edited:
Just checked and found out it was 1 year and 2 months exactly between the two engine failures. What is it with the 5th?

Considering another 2F I have in the barn that was pulled a few months ago running just fine. May use all the refurbed parts from the one I have in the truck and add it to the replacement. Should be most reliable and most likely the least expensive fix. I won't wait a year this time but since the weather is changing, I may not be in a hurry. Cold weather isn't the best time to sell these. But I digress...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom