Stout Equipment Roof Rack "Feet" breaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have not been able to contact Stout Equipment. I think they went out of business. Any one know how to contact them for replacement parts?

I have had 4 of the total of 8 “feet” brackets that attach the Stout Roof rack to my '97 Landcruiser rain gutters break. All 4 have broken right where the steel plate is bent at 90 degrees. I have not even had a load on the rack yet but I do drive on some very rough roads to hunting spots. I took the rack off as 2 on each side are not enuf for even the rack alone which is heavy.

Other than this problem I like it(& my Stout Equipment Front Bumper) as it has no wind noise, looks great and has the attachments(not yet used—have not wanted that much weight up top for my winter hunts) for axe/shovel; hi-lift and spare.

Is there another type of support that might work better or a way to make them stronger? Anyone else have the same problem with the Stout Rack/how did you fix it?

Local welding shop wants big bucks to weld broken ones with a "till i dont see your tail lights" warrenty

I plan to use the Rack this spring and summer for camping(light bulky stuff and attachments) but want to be secure that it wont fail.

Grant Mossman closed Stout Equipment in the late summer of 2000, partly because of a fairly seroius injury to his hand. He now resides in NYC. He has threatend in the past to "come out of retirement" but I would expect it when I see it. I am very familar with your vehicle. It was owned by a friend of mine in Corrales, NM. You and I have the only front bumpers Grant made for 80 series Cruisers. Mine was reinforced and cut to accept a winch and yours has an upper hoop and light mounts. IIRC, your roof rack was a one-off prototype and that means that there are no replacement parts laying around.
Your options are to repair the existing mounts or fabricate replacement mounts or scrap the rack and start over.

Oh, do you hunt your upland birds with a real shotgun (two barrels side-by-side), or one of those pretend ones? :rolleyes:

:cheers: D-

and some worthless info, his(Grants) brother lives in Gig Harbor.................its kinda like the Kevin Bacon thing....... :D

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=10846;start=msg97456#msg97456 date=1075601588]
Grant Mossman closed Stout Equipment in the late summer of 2000, partly because of a fairly seroius injury to his hand. He now resides in NYC. He has threatend in the past to "come out of retirement" but I would expect it when I see it. I am very familar with your vehicle. It was owned by a friend of mine in Corrales, NM. You and I have the only front bumpers Grant made for 80 series Cruisers. Mine was reinforced and cut to accept a winch and yours has an upper hoop and light mounts. IIRC, your roof rack was a one-off prototype and that means that there are no replacement parts laying around.
Your options are to repair the existing mounts or fabricate replacement mounts or scrap the rack and start over.

Oh, do you hunt your upland birds with a real shotgun (two barrels side-by-side), or one of those pretend ones? :rolleyes:

:cheers: D-

[/quote]

Thanx, no wonder I cant find any info on Stout. Too bad he hurt his hand--he was putting out a nice product.

I think I will take the chance with the local welding shops fix as I really like the rack.

Hunted for years with a Stevens(side by side) but since joining AARP have opted for more fire power to help compensate for the less leg power.

Cruiserdan-- I think I talked to you about my truck before I bought it. The reference to the other bumper was the first clue.

Keep up the good work :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom