Stormtrooper - 2005 JDM HDJ101 imported to Canada (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I mean to get to this sooner, but now that it's no longer a low-mileage truck, I'm making a post about the 2005 HDJ101 I imported from Japan to Canada. This is mostly just to flex on the Americans who can't get these yet.

I bought it through a dealer in Japan with the help of Forthright Trading. This particular truck never went to auction, which is nice because I was able to get much more detailed information on it and feel more comfortable about paying more for a vehicle than I ever have without ever getting to see it. When it showed up, it was every bit as clean as the photos showed. Nearly every flaw it'll have will be entirely my fault. Mechanically it's almost perfect, just requiring a tire balance and routine maintenance.

Specs:
- Dec 2004 build date. It had to be registered in Canada as a 2004, but I still call it a 2005. Don't ask me why I care. I don't know.
- Registered in Canada Oct 15th 2022 with confirmed 96,000 km. Just rolled over 100,000 km a few days ago
- Diesel engine, 1HD-FTE with the same 5sp auto as the gasser trucks. The first appropriately powered diesel Toyota I've ever driven!

Super bare bones options, even as far as JDM LC's go.
- No ATRAC, locker or LSD as far as I can tell. This one was an unfortunate surprise when it arrived, but can be fixed with lockers
- No AHC. Part of me wanted AHC, but in reality the lack of it will be nice in the future
- No vent windows
- No sunroof. I think 4? sunglass holders instead. None of which my sunglasses fit into!
- No center console fridge
- No roof rack
- No tire carrier
- Cloth interior with manual seats

Options it was equipped with:
- Navigation. All in Japanese, of course. Using Google Translate, my wife was able to mute the nice Japanese lady who talked at us every few minutes. I never knew what she was saying though.
- "Cold weather package", which I think means factory dual batteries (parallel wired, still all 12V) and a "power heater" viscous coupler for heating the coolant. We had a cold snap a couple months ago, and in -10C, without that running, the coolant temp wouldn't get over 60C idling in traffic.
- 18" alloys, tinting, spoiler

I think that's it for options? I'm not 100% sure though.

And to make this thread a bit more interesting, some differences I know of between the JDM and NA market 100's:

- Window flares. I'm not sure if these were actually standard, but they seem to be on most JDM cruisers. Other than being cool because they're rare, they're nice for leaving windows cracked open while sleeping in the truck, or
- The funny little mirror on the fender. It basically has two small mirrors on it, one looking at the front bumper, one down the left side of the vehicle. Perfect for parking where you only have about 3" more clearance than the size of the truck. Also shown are the headlight washers. They're activated by a little button beside the steering wheel and squirt for about 2 seconds. Unless I'm missing something, there's only one washer bottle for both windshields and the headlight washers
30.jpg

Mini disc player, because those were cool for a short time. Still has 6cd changer in the center console. The FM frequencies only go from 76-90 MHz, in 0.1 MHz increments. I don't know if there's anything else weird about the radio.
47.jpg

Manual cloth seats. I'm very happy to have these because I have to go from "almost all the way forward" to "all the way back" every time after my wife drives. The little button is lumbar support. They are heated though, same buttons as everything else.
53.jpg

Roadside flare. The little red thing hiding in the passenger's footwell. Unfortunately, the flare was removed before I got the truck. The little clips are still there though. I might have to get another flare to put there
49.jpg

Factory dual batteries, part of the cold weather package. You can also see the small viscous coupler in front of the intake manifold here. The pulley is a clutch, just like A/C. Bonus points, as this doesn't have the infamous heater T's. Also bonus points for the engine being so clean I could eat off of it. I got it dirty once since I got it, but cleaned it to almost this nice again.
Aside from the lack of spark plugs and AHC globe, I'm not sure if there's anything else unique in here. You can just see the fins of the little black intercooler to the left of the hood latch here
78.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

What does the rear fog look like when activated? Miss having one from my German car days.

Going to go troll Partsouq now for the MD player…

Amazing flex on those Americans who can't get these yet!! bravo

Thanks for sharing!

What does the rear fog look like when activated? Miss having one from my German car days.

Going to go troll Partsouq now for the MD player…
I was just about to ask this and really curious where is OEM rear fog light is on the tail light of this cruiser and would love to for OP to post if possible.

Fog lights are the on the inside just below reverse lights View attachment 3232344View attachment 3232343
First time I actually saw an OEM rear fog light on a 100. Ive been looking far and wide on all the 100s I saw in Europe when we were there but no luck. I’m a fan of european spec vehicles, I even had to source Spain-spec oem taillights from Madrid (w/rear fog diffusers) for my Hilux when I still had it so seeing this is a delight.
641C5B43-CB5D-47F8-8019-7BA7FEC54C70.jpeg

I mean to get to this sooner, but now that it's no longer a low-mileage truck, I'm making a post about the 2005 HDJ101 I imported from Japan to Canada. This is mostly just to flex on the Americans who can't get these yet.

I bought it through a dealer in Japan with the help of Forthright Trading. This particular truck never went to auction, which is nice because I was able to get much more detailed information on it and feel more comfortable about paying more for a vehicle than I ever have without ever getting to see it. When it showed up, it was every bit as clean as the photos showed. Nearly every flaw it'll have will be entirely my fault. Mechanically it's almost perfect, just requiring a tire balance and routine maintenance.

Specs:
- Dec 2004 build date. It had to be registered in Canada as a 2004, but I still call it a 2005. Don't ask me why I care. I don't know.
- Registered in Canada Oct 15th 2022 with confirmed 96,000 km. Just rolled over 100,000 km a few days ago
- Diesel engine, 1HD-FTE with the same 5sp auto as the gasser trucks. The first appropriately powered diesel Toyota I've ever driven!

Super bare bones options, even as far as JDM LC's go.
- No ATRAC, locker or LSD as far as I can tell. This one was an unfortunate surprise when it arrived, but can be fixed with lockers
- No AHC. Part of me wanted AHC, but in reality the lack of it will be nice in the future
- No vent windows
- No sunroof. I think 4? sunglass holders instead. None of which my sunglasses fit into!
- No center console fridge
- No roof rack
- No tire carrier
- Cloth interior with manual seats

Options it was equipped with:
- Navigation. All in Japanese, of course. Using Google Translate, my wife was able to mute the nice Japanese lady who talked at us every few minutes. I never knew what she was saying though.
- "Cold weather package", which I think means factory dual batteries (parallel wired, still all 12V) and a "power heater" viscous coupler for heating the coolant. We had a cold snap a couple months ago, and in -10C, without that running, the coolant temp wouldn't get over 60C idling in traffic.
- 18" alloys, tinting, spoiler

I think that's it for options? I'm not 100% sure though.

And to make this thread a bit more interesting, some differences I know of between the JDM and NA market 100's:

- Window flares. I'm not sure if these were actually standard, but they seem to be on most JDM cruisers. Other than being cool because they're rare, they're nice for leaving windows cracked open while sleeping in the truck, or
- The funny little mirror on the fender. It basically has two small mirrors on it, one looking at the front bumper, one down the left side of the vehicle. Perfect for parking where you only have about 3" more clearance than the size of the truck. Also shown are the headlight washers. They're activated by a little button beside the steering wheel and squirt for about 2 seconds. Unless I'm missing something, there's only one washer bottle for both windshields and the headlight washers
View attachment 3232248

Mini disc player, because those were cool for a short time. Still has 6cd changer in the center console. The FM frequencies only go from 76-90 MHz, in 0.1 MHz increments. I don't know if there's anything else weird about the radio.
View attachment 3232242

Manual cloth seats. I'm very happy to have these because I have to go from "almost all the way forward" to "all the way back" every time after my wife drives. The little button is lumbar support. They are heated though, same buttons as everything else.
View attachment 3232249

Roadside flare. The little red thing hiding in the passenger's footwell. Unfortunately, the flare was removed before I got the truck. The little clips are still there though. I might have to get another flare to put there
View attachment 3232250

Factory dual batteries, part of the cold weather package. You can also see the small viscous coupler in front of the intake manifold here. The pulley is a clutch, just like A/C. Bonus points, as this doesn't have the infamous heater T's. Also bonus points for the engine being so clean I could eat off of it. I got it dirty once since I got it, but cleaned it to almost this nice again.
Aside from the lack of spark plugs and AHC globe, I'm not sure if there's anything else unique in here. You can just see the fins of the little black intercooler to the left of the hood latch here
View attachment 3232252

Congratulations!! Great pics of a great truck!! Hope the underbody is just as good.

Here are a couple of attachments which may be of interest if not already seen.

The first attachment provides a general description with illustrations of the 1HD-FTE turbodiesel engine. It includes a brief description at Pages 121 and 123 of the "Cold Climate Power Heater" -- methinks operated by magnetic clutch rather than a viscous coupling but that is just pedantic detail. (My late edit -- @tetelestia had it right).

The second attachment describes the fuel pump attached at the front lower LHS of the engine, gear-driven from the crankshaft (no pump in the fuel tanks with 1HD-FTE) and the fuel injection system -- hopefully you never have to read this because it would mean that there is a VERY expensive and unusual problem.

The kilometres are low -- barely 'run in'!! Nevertheless, the vehicle is 15 or 16 years old, so a new timing belt is recommended for reliability and piece of mind. It makes sense to renew the water pump at the same time. These are both very easy jobs on 1HD-FTE, much easier than on 2UZ-FE. Use VIN at https://partsouq.com/ to check prices, availability of parts.

It is a fair bet that previous Owners (or their mechanic) did not get around to actually removing the cross-over pipe, EGR apparatus and valve cover on the top of the engine and checking and adjusting valve clearances at frequencies prescribed in the Owner's Manual. Suggest that this is a good "New Owner" job, again for piece of mind and engine longevity. This also provides an opportunity to check the operation of the EGR system -- some would say remove, blank off and bypass the EGR arrangements for better power, cleaner intake manifold -- but this would make the vehicle non-compliant in most jurisdictions.

Consider cleaning the carbon residue in the intake manifold at this time.

In Canada, it is probably worth keeping the "intake pre-heater". In hot, old Australia we would think about removing this device and replacing with an open blank (no heater core) or at least disconnecting it. This device requires a huge in-rush current at engine start -- which is part of the reason for dual batteries in parallel. There are no "glow plugs" on 1HD-FTE cylinders.

1HD-FTE Maintenance and Repair details can be found at LC100 Workshop Manual - https://lc100e.github.io/.

This youtube channel provides some good information and visuals on 1HD-FTE -- just have to put up with the Australian accent!!

Attachments

• 1HD-FTE Engine.PDF
    999.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 1HD-FTE Fuel System - tnvddenso-s-klap.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Cool! Very clean and never seen a minidisc player in a vehicle before!

I believe that you'd still have one heater tee, if you follow the upper outlet pipe from the power heater back to near where it goes into the firewall. +1 on blocking off the EGR and cleaning the carbon out of the manifold. From the underhood picture, it looks like you might have the more advanced, cooled EGR system. I think this comes with some other unique components compared to earlier 1HD-FTE engines, such as a VNT turbo and swirl flaps attached to the intake manifold. The parts diagrams in the workshop manual (linked in the post above mine) sometimes say European Spec 2001.8, which has the updated EGR system and other related components.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if this is exclusive to cold weather equipped 100s but there is also a roll up screen that pulls down in front of the radiator. I discovered it by surprised when I upgraded my intercooler. It’s very inconspicuous and a bit of a pain to access as it requires removing the front grill and finagling your fingers into the upper rad support to roll it down.

I think this comes with some other unique components compared to earlier 1HD-FTE engines, such as a VNT turbo and swirl flaps attached to the intake manifold.
I can confirm that the last 1HDFTE did not come with VNT. The VNT started with 2009 Toyota diesel engines like 1KD (Prado/Hilux/Fortuner) and 1VD (LX450D/LC200). But the EGR is standard on the FTE for emissions mitigation.

I can confirm that the last 1HDFTE did not come with VNT. The VNT started with 2009 Toyota diesel engines like 1KD (Prado/Hilux/Fortuner) and 1VD (LX450D/LC200). But the EGR is standard on the FTE for emissions mitigation.
In 2001 the European 100 series with 1HD FTE got VNT turbos as well as mass airflow sensor, o2 sensors, and intake swirl valves to comply with Euro III emissions regulations.

1HD-FTE low-emission diesel engine

silicone oil to water heat exchanger... never seen that. Awesome.

Congratulations!! Great pics of a great truck!! Hope the underbody is just as good.

Here are a couple of attachments which may be of interest if not already seen.

The first attachment provides a general description with illustrations of the 1HD-FTE turbodiesel engine. It includes a brief description at Pages 121 and 123 of the "Cold Climate Power Heater" -- methinks operated by magnetic clutch rather than a viscous coupling but that is just pedantic detail. (My late edit -- @tetelestia had it right).

The second attachment describes the fuel pump attached at the front lower LHS of the engine, gear-driven from the crankshaft (no pump in the fuel tanks with 1HD-FTE) and the fuel injection system -- hopefully you never have to read this because it would mean that there is a VERY expensive and unusual problem.

The kilometres are low -- barely 'run in'!! Nevertheless, the vehicle is 15 or 16 years old, so a new timing belt is recommended for reliability and piece of mind. It makes sense to renew the water pump at the same time. These are both very easy jobs on 1HD-FTE, much easier than on 2UZ-FE. Use VIN at https://partsouq.com/ to check prices, availability of parts.

It is a fair bet that previous Owners (or their mechanic) did not get around to actually removing the cross-over pipe, EGR apparatus and valve cover on the top of the engine and checking and adjusting valve clearances at frequencies prescribed in the Owner's Manual. Suggest that this is a good "New Owner" job, again for piece of mind and engine longevity. This also provides an opportunity to check the operation of the EGR system -- some would say remove, blank off and bypass the EGR arrangements for better power, cleaner intake manifold -- but this would make the vehicle non-compliant in most jurisdictions.

Consider cleaning the carbon residue in the intake manifold at this time.

In Canada, it is probably worth keeping the "intake pre-heater". In hot, old Australia we would think about removing this device and replacing with an open blank (no heater core) or at least disconnecting it. This device requires a huge in-rush current at engine start -- which is part of the reason for dual batteries in parallel. There are no "glow plugs" on 1HD-FTE cylinders.

1HD-FTE Maintenance and Repair details can be found at LC100 Workshop Manual - https://lc100e.github.io/.

This youtube channel provides some good information and visuals on 1HD-FTE -- just have to put up with the Australian accent!!

Just remembered a few notes with excellent pictures about upgraded intercooler and repaired turbo issues (with VNT) by @Moridinbg on his 2005 LC100 (not LC105) with 1HD-FTE at Post #59 through to about Post #70 at this thread -- also showing EGR choked with oily soot back at Post #3. Best to start at Post #1 to get the full story. @Moridinbg from Bulgaria is roaming in South America now -- posts on IH8MUD occasionally, always a good read.

Last edited:
@IncroCruise thanks for all the information.

Timing belt and water pump are next up on my maintenance. I wanted to drive it for a bit and make sure everything was solid first. I'll be sitting for the next month or so, but I'll get that done ASAP.

EGR is definitely in place and fully functional. I have to admit that part of the reason it wasn't first on my priority list is that people claim the EGR reduces fuel economy. I find that hard to believe, so the only thing I can do is get some statistics on fuel economy before and after. I thought it was less of an issue on the FTE, backed up by how clean my oil is, but I'm still planning to get around to that. The photo of his intake post EGR was way worse than I expected. That's almost VW TDI bad!

And yes, nobody is taking my intake heater. Smoke free starting in -15 C is wonderful.

@IncroCruise thanks for all the information.

Timing belt and water pump are next up on my maintenance. I wanted to drive it for a bit and make sure everything was solid first. I'll be sitting for the next month or so, but I'll get that done ASAP.

EGR is definitely in place and fully functional. I have to admit that part of the reason it wasn't first on my priority list is that people claim the EGR reduces fuel economy. I find that hard to believe, so the only thing I can do is get some statistics on fuel economy before and after. I thought it was less of an issue on the FTE, backed up by how clean my oil is, but I'm still planning to get around to that. The photo of his intake post EGR was way worse than I expected. That's almost VW TDI bad!

And yes, nobody is taking my intake heater. Smoke free starting in -15 C is wonderful.

There are some pro’s and con’s concerning EGR removal – and plenty of strong opinions scattered across the web!! These youtube videos give opposing views -- and also offer some more good visuals:

“For”:

“Against”:

In my case, all of the EGR, intake pre-heater, etc, etc, have remained in place on the 1HD-FTE. My LC100 recently was transferred across Australia from Brisbane on the East Coast to Perth on the West Coast (similar distance as Montreal to Vancouver) -- which meant re-inspection and re-certification for vehicle registration by a different Australian State Government. Not a good time for interference with legislated pollution controls! Probably the engine will stay in stock condition -- unless my son-in-law wants to change it in pursuit of marginal gains -- but he also is quite conservative about these things. If left in place, the EGR needs a check-up and maybe the cross-over and intake manifold needs to be cleaned out every (say) 50,000 kilometres (31,000 miles). However, that dodges the issue of how much oily soot is sitting just above the valves .....

With EGR in place and checked, cross-over and intake manifold cleaned, fuel consumption around the suburbs is 12 to 13 litres per 100 kilometres (18 to 20 US mpg) and 9 to 11 litres per 100 kilometres (21 to 26 US mpg) long haul on the highway, loaded but not towing, but highly speed-dependent. Offroad consumption depends on conditions but always is much, much better than petrol (gasoline) 2UZ-FE due to high torque at low engine speeds on 1HD-FTE. Stock vehicle carries 141 litres in Main and Sub-tank, so one-way range can be around 1,000 kilometres (620 miles). Not too bad -- but Australia is a big country and long range tanks are a common after-market choice, especially for long trips in adverse conditions -- where 'range' really means how far to the next available fuel-stop, or, how far back to the last fuel-stop!!

X-section 1HD-FTE.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom