Storing your 40 outside??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tires will also rot if left outside. I have replaced mine 2x due to rot with plenty of tread left in ~30yrs. Also figure out how to disconnect the battery if you are not going to drive it regularly or if the wiring is at all suspect. I'm thinking I'd keep it in the garage especially in the humid south. If you put it in a non-air conditioned shed with no de-humidifier or fans or whatever then it will be better but not great.

"paint damage"= patina. It's desireable.

I couldn't imagine what this fifty-two year old FJ40 would look like being parked outside in AZ all this years.
The carrot 025 (1).JPG

Was parked under a carport on the north side until I bought it in 2011. Since then been kept in an insulated garage in a relatively mild climate.
The carrot 044.jpg

I'll take original paint in good condition over patina any day. But perfer patina or a new shinny paint job hiding who knows what.

Last edited:
I keep several of mine outside,keep a good coat of wax on them. Keep tires covered . Battery on a tender.covers over dash.Not under trees.Mike

My 40 was parked outdoors in the UAE (hot, humid, and sunny) for about 2 years after restoring it. I used a California Car Cover NOAH cover that was fitted for the FJ40. It actually kept the interior of my 40 cooler than my uncovered cars, even with shade over them. Also never had any moisture get through on the occasional monsoon days. I'd roll up the car cover every day in the way they show you... and then do a quick dusting if needed. End of the day I'd dust it again and re-cover. It held up well.

It's garaged now though... since I have a garage.

Last edited:
My 40 was parked outdoors in the UAE (hot, humid, and sunny) for about 2 years after restoring it. I used a California Car Cover NOAH cover that was fitted for the FJ40. It actually kept the interior of my 40 cooler than my uncovered cars, even with shade over them. Also never had any moisture get through on the occasional monsoon days. I'd roll up the car cover every day in the way they show you... and then do a quick dusting if needed. End of the day I'd dust it again and re-cover. It held up well.

It's garage now though... since I have a garage.

Are you saying you covered and uncovered daily? If so that is dedication.

Are you saying you covered and uncovered daily? If so that is dedication.

Almost daily... I didn't drive it every day. But I uncovered/covered almost every time I used it.
Once you learn the proper way to uncover and fold at the same time... it's really easy to do.

Also, the $400-ish NOAH cover is spendy, but it's quality is quite apparent with use.

Last edited:
I have a fitted cover from SOR for my FJ62. Used it in Phoenix when I had two non operating cruisers in the two car garage. 2004 moved it to Northern Arizona with no garage. Car cover was not waterproof so kept a Harbor Freight camo tarp over the other cover. I removed the cover once when it had a foot of snow on it. The cotton lining peeled off clear coat from the hood and top. It had been waxed in the fall. 2009 built a garage been inside since. Picture above if you look closely can see the missing clear coat. The cover did help protect the interior. Thirty-three years in Arizona and dash is still perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom