Storing your 40 outside??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive been keeping my restored 40 in the garage, but I really could use the space. Been thinking about keeping her in the backyard driveway and covered. Any issues here? I do live in the humid South, so rust is a concern.
Anyone else keep a nice 40 outside?

Ive been keeping my restored 40 in the garage, but I really could use the space. Been thinking about keeping her in the backyard driveway and covered. Any issues here? I do live in the humid South, so rust is a concern.
If its REALLY nice, i’d get a metal carport. Keep the sun and the dew and rain off of it. I have Amazon covers for my FJ40’s, and have had great results out of these sub $50 car covers. None of mine are restored leve nice though.

Barret Jackson has a resource for classic car storage techniques and methods , i would start there for sure :)

Should be ok if the cover isn’t touching it… not a fan of tarps against paint.

It’ll be at a greater risk of rodent damage, and I’d check on it regularly. That said, my ‘74 has only been in a garage for a few years of its life. That said it has had major rust to repair and has original sheet metal that now needs to be replaced. Considering the tub was gone in ‘91 and I had to replace the frame in ‘93ish, the rest of the OEM metal is doing not so bad.

I guess it all depends on how well the restoration was done compared to OEM standards.

Once mine is done it’ll be inside mostly and I’ll bring it out when I’m doing a project.

I have no garage or covered parking unless you count an oak tree.

251881EF-037E-4CB9-9E1B-D2C0814F1E72.jpeg

Build another climate controlled garage, something like a 40x60, or larger.

Storing it outside invites rust, rodents, bugs, environmental damage and potentially thieves into your life. A garage is a good way to defend your cruiser from all that. I stored mine outside for many years and unfortunately experienced all of these issues. Finally came to my senses in 2011 and got a real garage, no going back now.

I also needed the space and against my own better judgement I left my garage queen out for a year and the mice moved in, ruining my seats and filling my heater with foam and crap. Even in death after the mice ate the green snacks they died and stunk up the interior. As for rust and sun deterioration not so much as I expected but I did not cover it (I think car covers can make matters worse). With all that said, I did lave one in a barn once and that was even worse when you add in birds! A garage or shop with routine human occupation is the only way to go.

Going along with the above comments- if it’s restored and been inside…. The rate of oxidation and heat/weather/critter damage will be much higher than a 40 that has been living outside already. This is definitely a problem for most of us. Maybe you can justify moving around other items to other storage areas or getting a shed at a cheaper cost. 🍀

Do a search for "portable garage". There are several companies that offer them and in various configurations and sizes. Although I never used one for any of my vehicles I did have one setup for several years as a covered workspace. Mine was from HF and I did have a couple of issues with it but overall it kept my tools and projects out of the weather.

Here are a few tips: Don't stretch the cover really tight. The cover on mine shrank and split at the top. A tarp over the split kept the weather out and was cheaper than replacing the cover. Since you're in a humid area I'd suggest finding one with vents on both ends or simply leave the ends open.

Good luck.

I also needed the space and against my own better judgement I left my garage queen out for a year and the mice moved in, ruining my seats and filling my heater with foam and crap. Even in death after the mice ate the green snacks they died and stunk up the interior. As for rust and sun deterioration not so much as I expected but I did not cover it (I think car covers can make matters worse). With all that said, I did lave one in a barn once and that was even worse when you add in birds! A garage or shop with routine human occupation is the only way to go.

Routine human Occupation is necessary… especially if it’s not an airtight concrete bunker. Rodents are evil.

Last edited:
I guess I'm lucky here in Nor Cal, 40 has been outside for 23 years, very little rust, very few rodents, its a trail truck so no issues covering with tarp in rain but other than that its outside, no top, 24/7.

Thanks Yall

I think the biggest issue with storing outside is UV. While rodents may be a strong second. UV deteriorates paint and rodents deteriorate wiring. You need to evaluate which issue is greatest. For years my '73 lived in my driveway without any benefit of cover. I also lived in an area that did not have big danger from rodents. The paint suffered from UV damage but I never had an issue with rodents.

As long as water is allowed to drain and evaporate rust is minimized. If you're in a area where rodents are a bigger issue than enclosed storage is desirable.

Mice in seats and mice in air cleaner. Fun 🤩.

I think the biggest issue with storing outside is UV. While rodents may be a strong second. UV deteriorates paint and rodents deteriorate wiring. You need to evaluate which issue is greatest. For years my '73 lived in my driveway without any benefit of cover. I also lived in an area that did not have big danger from rodents. The paint suffered from UV damage but I never had an issue with rodents.

As long as water is allowed to drain and evaporate rust is minimized. If you're in a area where rodents are a bigger issue than enclosed storage is desirable.
"paint damage"= patina. It's desireable.

rain gutters collect and hold leaf debris and dirt especially with roof racks. If you have to keep it outside, frequent wax application is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom