Storing 100 for 4-6 Weeks at a Time - Battery Question - No Electricity Available for Trickle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, dang. Here we go. Perfect. I'll disconnect the negative and pick up a GB40 for back up.

The GB20, GB40, GB70, and GB150 Boost models are FAA compliant and can be taken on a plane, however they have to be in your carry-on. No-Lithium batteries are allowed to be checked in luggage. All Boost models are under 100Wh which is the limit set by the FAA. For more additional information, or for current updates, please see the link below to the FAA guidelines. We also recommend contacting the airlines you are flying to see if they have any additional restrictions.

If the truck has to be stored a few times a year, a few months each time, will jumping start every time (using a lithium jump start kit) harm the battery (Toyota OEM battery) lifespan by a lot?

The battery is so easy to access, doing anything BUT disconnecting and reconnecting the positive battery terminal lead is more work and adds unnecessary risk.

When I go out of the country for 4 to 5 week vacations, I leave the battery disconnected on all my vehicles (batteries are about 2-3 years old). Up on my arrival, I connect the wire and go out for shipping. No issues what so ever!

I have left my UZJ100 in storage in Las Vegas for a 10 weeks and come back to it firing right up. Six months (thanks COVID) no such luck.

I would suggest a quality solar trickle charger (the Battery Tender folks offer one) if you know the vehicle will sit more than 3 months.

Very odd. I’m definitely going to leave the hood popped for sure and maybe even a window open enough to get my arm in there.

Put a negative terminal disconnect on it. I like it over using a 10mm each time.

Front drivers door does lock/unlock with battery disconnected. YMMV.
IMG_2335.JPG

I have a buddy who does this with an 80 series, he keeps it at his ranch (similar no-electricity conditions). I just called him and he said the longest he's gone has been four weeks and the truck started fine after that time. That's in Texas, mind you, I don't know the insulation is like at your storage place but the temperature will absolutely impact this. He keeps his battery disconnected.

The other thing he suggested was to block the exhaust pipe and to hang a few bars of Irish Spring soap under the engine compartment to discourage rodents. That may also be more of a Texas thing but they have a tendency to get into stuff and they love to chew on wires.

Cheers and good luck!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom