Storage solution for Scepter NATO fuel spout (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The originsl black plastic bag that the Scepter fuel spout came in has a few holes now so I'm looking for a durable storage solution to keep it clean. Originally, I thought of a large dia PVC or ABS tube, but none were large enough in diameter. Ideas?

image.jpeg

I made one out of PVC, necking down for the spout portion. I'll grab a few pics.

Excellent. That is exactly what I had in mind. Guess I need to look at a commercial plumbing store as Home Depot and a few other box stores had nothing that large.

It's been a few years, but everything came from either Home Depot or Rona.

That is pretty fancy, I have a cheap solution. I store the funnel in the heavy black bag it came in. Then I
taped a piece of 2" black pvc pipe to the downtube on the tire rack. So it's outside always, no stink. It dribbles
the little bit of fuel out the bottom of the bag unobtrusively. It's out of sight, no one even pays it any attention.
It stays clean and dry, and it's right on the back of the truck when I need it.

P1000528.JPG

I store mine in a big plastic bag I got from some Toyota part (16x16"), along with the wrench and my gas gloves in the trasheroo top flap zipper.

Swing it around your head a few times after use to get the excess fuel out, this works really well to eliminate fumes inside your truck.
I use the cut off leg from an old pair of jeans to store my Super Syphon, which is IMHO a better solution to fuel transfer than a spout.
Link;
Amazon.com: Super Siphon w/ 6' Siphon Hose 2 Pack: Automotive

This isn't open heart surgery, the fuel system is robust and can tolerate a lot more crud than you think. Keep in mind these trucks were designed to survive in third world countries, any dust and such your fuel spout accumulates stored inside your truck is a mouse fart in a hurricane compared to what comes out of the station pumps in many parts of the world, or parts of the US for that matter.

LOL. just got back from Home Depot. Largest size they have is 4", and my spout doesn't fit. Not sure what us going on.

The base of the spout doesn't fit inside the tube, it just fits inside the threaded portion of the cap.

It seems you have a collection of parts Home Depot here doesn't. The threaded adapter I saw fits inside the reducer fitting leaving the dia too small. I will go to a plumbing distributor later this week to sort things out.

Make sure you are checking in the sewer pipe parts not the pressure/water pipe parts. The fitting Douglas S used is ABS not PVC and is a cleanout fitting not a normal pipe cap. Waste and vent piping (ABS or PVC-DWV) has different fittings than normal schedule 40 PVC that you would use for supply piping. 4" is a very standard size for these so shouldn't be hard to find. ABS isn't available in sizes less than 1.25" (or even 1.5") so if you have the small spout you might find it rattles a little inside.

4" Cleanout Fitting Adapter with plug > 4x2 Reducer > 2" pipe > 2" cap
http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/DimensionalCatalogs/Plastic_Pipe_Fittings_DC-DWV(609).pdf

I made one with home depot parts except the 4x2 coupling. I had to get that at a commercial store. The cleanout adapter threaded section isn't near deep enough to fit the fuel spout inside so I had to bore it out some in the lathe. Otherwise it looks similar to Douglas above but uses the parts listed by Dazrin.

Swing it around your head a few times after use to get the excess fuel out, this works really well to eliminate fumes inside your truck.
I use the cut off leg from an old pair of jeans to store my Super Syphon, which is IMHO a better solution to fuel transfer than a spout.
Link;
Amazon.com: Super Siphon w/ 6' Siphon Hose 2 Pack: Automotive

This isn't open heart surgery, the fuel system is robust and can tolerate a lot more crud than you think. Keep in mind these trucks were designed to survive in third world countries, any dust and such your fuel spout accumulates stored inside your truck is a mouse fart in a hurricane compared to what comes out of the station pumps in many parts of the world, or parts of the US for that matter.

I use the “swing it” method as well. Then I wrap the threaded end with the black nitrile globe I used while fueling. Then I stuff it in the wheel well opening on top where the jack and tool kit go.

I’m not concerned about a little dirt.

Not sure if I'll use it or not as it is a bit bulky but here it is. As described above plus room to fit a rag if it is wrapped around the nozzle.
The wrench is a short piece of a trailer receiver tube with an old 4.5" grinder spanner welded to it. I found the o-ring makes the plug very difficult to remove by hand. I can store the wrench in the vehicle.

DSC_2882[1].JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom