Storage bins for the roof and for inside the Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I'm not trying to work out all of the kinks of what must have been a hasty diesel swap performed right before I bought it, I'm putting together my buy list for expedition gear.

I'm sorely lacking in organized storage and have been looking for a few boxes. The requirements I have are:

1. Water resistant. I doubt I'll spring for anything water proof for the all the extra money it'll cost.

2. Sturdy enough to stand/sit on.

3. Mountable to the front of the roof rack with enough room for a roof top tent mounted to the rear of the rack (ARB full, which I plan to cut the side bars off of in the rear to accomodate the roof rack) and a couple of Jerry cans in between the boxes.

4. Fits well in the back of the Cruiser when I don't want to mount them on the roof rack.

5. As much as I hate to trade with Wal-Mart, I'd prefer to drop a $100 gift card that I have on them so I've been loking at the links below. It's not a hard requirement though.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Molding-1819-XXL-Storage-Box/20893857

http://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-Store-It-All-Storage-Set-of-4/28864489#ProductDetail

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-Action-Packer-Storage-Box-24gal/16778190
^^A lot of forum members seem to have complaints about these

At some point I think I want to get a pair of the interior cargo (Jerry Can) holders for the back of the Cruiser, which may free up some space on the top of the Cruiser for larger/more boxes.

Anyone have any comments on any of the above three, or other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I'd go with the Plano boxes because they are made and assembled in the USA, have wheels, and are the largest. Plus, they are quite affordable.

That first Plano looks nice! I've been using theese for a few years and am happy with them. I paid around $12 apiece. Not strong enough to stand on but fit my needs. I've seen the identical ones, in camo, at the wally world for under $20.
002.JPG

I bought Action Packers in the past and have been pleased with them, used them as baggage, expedition boxes &&&

Last ones i bought are Rubbermate Brute boxes, much thicker and much tougher compared to the Action Packers, only bummer is the non lockable lids.
You can strap them down going thru the handles and secure the lid that way, to prevent dust inside you could use some adhesive window seal tape.
7348d56c-135b-46f8-8934-a2e73a35e45e_400.jpg

In the early years i used to have the aluminium Zarges Boxes, perfectly watertight sealed things start to mold and since they are aluminium the things inside get black marks.
csm_K470_Gruppe_03_zoom_68a6e4edd5.jpg
And they are very pricey.

Although I started off intending to buy the Plano boxes at Wal-Mart, all they had were camo, and that isn't me, so I ended up purchasing the Plano 1919 @ another local outdoor store Big Bear Sports for a reasonable price. Best part is the continuous groove around the lid that I placed some weather strip into. Looks like it will seal very well and w/o those cheaper plastic hinges it should also last longer.

Just did a quick search and found they made this model 1919 w/ a "scent control" o-ring from the factory. I haven't seen this exact model locally, but you might look for it.

Micah

We have installed the swag off road action packer holders with the action packers and it is a nice set up. You can mount the carriers to the roof rack then just snap the action packers in place.

They make them in a couple of different sizes.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/24-Gallon-Rubber-Maid-Action-Packer-Baja-Bins-_p_37.html

Got any pictures of them installed? Awesome concept, but adding a $150+ to the cost a of $20-$50 Action Packer will take some pretty good salesmanship.

I mounted the largest Action Packer I could find on the roof of my truck for a 7-week trip across country and back. I did a test before I left by driving through a rainstorm and it leaked badly. So I got some stick-on foam weatherstripping and applied it around the lip on the bottom, that helped a lot, so I went with it. I run some big bungees across the top while it was up there just to "squish" the lid down better and form a better seal. I still had some minor leakage through the hinge, but it was mostly just the camping gear, so no big deal if it got a few drips on it.

I dont have any pictures right now. These will be installed inside on top of ARB slider drawers. I don't now how water proof they would be though. When we get it finished I will post up some pictures.

I mounted the largest Action Packer I could find on the roof of my truck for a 7-week trip across country and back. I did a test before I left by driving through a rainstorm and it leaked badly. So I got some stick-on foam weatherstripping and applied it around the lip on the bottom, that helped a lot, so I went with it. I run some big bungees across the top while it was up there just to "squish" the lid down better and form a better seal. I still had some minor leakage through the hinge, but it was mostly just the camping gear, so no big deal if it got a few drips on it.

No issues with the latches fastening?

I dont have any pictures right now. These will be installed inside on top of ARB slider drawers. I don't now how water proof they would be though. When we get it finished I will post up some pictures.

Sounds good. Look forward to the pics.

For inside the cruiser I use apple boxes.
Advantages;
Cheap, actually free.
Square sides, pack lots of stuff in minimal space
The right size, even full of canned food, pots and pans I can still lift one alone.
Easy to replace anywhere in the world.
They exactly fill the space in the back of my cruiser.

I've been using the Walmart Plano boxes for more than a year now. they live in my truck bed or in my trailer, both of which are open to the elements. I ran a strip of adhesive weather stripping around the lip inside to help keep dust/water out and it's been doing the job. For cheap bins, they've been great. They nest well and have good lash points.

hard to see 'em in this pic but their stacked 2 high in the trailer

Hardigg med chests for me

I have a couple of these in the back of my 60.
They're tough and have the water tight gasket and I wouldn't think twice about stacking them or standing on them (at the corners) if necessary.
medbx.jpg

They fit perfectly under my sleeping platform and I got them for like $50 for both.
Admittedly, $50 is a steal so you'll have to keep an eye out on craigslist and such to find a good deal these days.
When I bought them, I think they were billed as a medical supply chest - army surplus of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom