Stopping oil drain plug leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, Was getting a slight leak from my drain plug lately and when I changed the oil this time I put a new copper gasket on my drain plug and am still getting the slightest leak. I can see it starting to show around the gasket again. None of the threads seemed to be crossed or over-tightened etc. Has anyone ever had an issue with this? Next oil change I'll try a new plug too, but don't want to drain my new oil. Also hoping it's not somehow the pan?

Use Toyota (OEM) gasket (washer). Torque drain plug to 29ft.lbf. If threads of drain plug damaged, replace with new OEM.

Use Toyota (OEM) gasket (washer). Torque drain plug to 29ft.lbf. If threads of drain plug damaged, replace with new OEM.
I checked the threads on both plug and pan and both look fine. Which is why Im stumped

What @2001LC said. Copper washer isn’t oem on the engine oil drain plug. It’s aluminum I think with some sort of rubbery felt looking coating.. usually blue.

Try a real drain plug gasket. You can get ‘em from Toyota or Napa etc for about a buck

What @2001LC said. Copper washer isn’t oem on the engine oil drain plug. It’s aluminum I think with some sort of rubbery felt looking coating.. usually blue.

Try a real drain plug gasket. You can get ‘em from Toyota or Napa etc for about a buck

Thanks guys, I'll try these next time around

Thanks again all, I just bit the bullet and re-did the oil change because I couldn't stand it dripping. Got OEM gaskets and hasn't dripped since doing it earlier today. Lesson learned to not use anything but the OEM gaskets.

I also may have gotten closer to 7.4 quarts though, tough to get it just right pouring it in. Im just above the F line, has anyone ever had an issue being just above? Read on another thread some people just put 8 in so I'm assuming it's fine.

I always use a smear of Loctite 515 Master Gasket (a.k.a Permatex PX51531) on all my drain and fill plugs and tighten to the lower torque spec. I rarely have any need to replace sump plug gaskets of any material, and never get any leaks.

Don't use silicone sealant as I've seen more than one plug fall out (on the track). The silicone turns into a lubricant rather than a retaining/sealing medium.

A mate of mine even used 515 to seal up a motorcycle tyre once as an emergency measure, then couldn't locate the hole again once he got home :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom