1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stop the noises in my head!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by MoGas, Feb 29, 2004.

1. MoGas

MoGas Central Scrutinizer SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    1989 FJ62
    Every time I am at a stop while the trans is in drive I get a vibrating/rattling noise that I have found to be one of the rods for the headliner vibrating against the roof.
    How can I get rid of this noise without too much trouble????

Thank You,
    Dave

2. MoGas

MoGas Central Scrutinizer SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    No ideas????

3. pygpen

pygpen

Remove the headliner and chop the top!
    Summer is coming. :D
    Sorry not any help....
    PMK

4. jasond73fj40

jasond73fj40

To funny! I have the same problem.

I was looking at the work involved with pulling down the headliner & decided its easier to ignore it & keep the RPM up to stop the rattle at idle.

Do you still have a functioning radio? Count yourself lucky & turn up the volume. My power has somewhere along the line cut out so my radio & cigarette lighter don't work.

5. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I've not tried this so consider it a hunch ...

How about putting some silicone sealer in a syringe (the cheap kind with just a plastic tip ... no needle) and punch it though the head liner (so there will be a small hole) and inject between the rib support and roof. With a big enough tip perhaps even a needle could work and you'd have a smaller hole in the liner.

6. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

If the noise is close to a door, you might be able to get to it. Pull the door trim off. You can peel the headliner away from the doorframe a bit and get a small opening between the liner and the doorframe. I did this to slide some cardboard and a hotpatch up behind my liner. The cardboard was a surface to press the iron against to stick the hotpatch in place. Not a perfect fix - but better than an open rip. You might be able to get some caulking on the rattling rib, then close up the opening when the door trim goes back in place.

7. brian

brian SILVER Star

[quote author=Rice link=board=1;threadid=12313;start=msg113830#msg113830 date=1078251235]
    I've not tried this so consider it a hunch ...

How about putting some silicone sealer in a syringe (the cheap kind with just a plastic tip ... no needle) and punch it though the head liner (so there will be a small hole) and inject between the rib support and roof. With a big enough tip perhaps even a needle could work and you'd have a smaller hole in the liner.

[/quote]

even a small slice, say 1/4" or so would allow the tip of a caulking gun loaded with said sealer to get the job done.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">