Stop at US boarder or not (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to be importing my new '84 FJ60 into Canada in a couple days and understand that there is no need to stop at the US shack to export. Any down side to doing this? I'm hoping to pull up to the Canadian side with the signed title and my insurance slip-pay some GST and drive on. From what I've read here and my experience w/newer than 15 y/o vehicles it should be easy but the wife has me concerned that I'm under prepared. The paper I don't have that concerns me is a signed bill of sale from my buddy in California that I bought the truck from. He did fill out the sale part on the title and signed that. Any thoughts?

I would check with a broker before trying to cross the border if you dont have all your documents in order you may hit a red tape hurdle that could get you car impounded and if I am not mistaken you have to make an appointment ahead of time and only cross at the date and time of the appointment.

As I recall when I was looking into this.

You must apply to have your truck exported at US customs by filling out a Vehicle Export Worksheet. Available at US Customs shack.

There is a 72 hour waiting period (3 business days, weekends don't count). They need the VIN, bill of sale, etc.

One of our club guys just did this last week, so I'll check with him to be sure my facts are correct.

As I recall when I was looking into this.

You must apply to have your truck exported at US customs by filling out a Vehicle Export Worksheet. Available at US Customs shack.

There is a 72 hour waiting period (3 business days, weekends don't count). They need the VIN, bill of sale, etc.

One of our club guys just did this last week, so I'll check with him to be sure my facts are correct.

x2. I imported an 84 FJ60 last week. :beer:

yeah stop and do your paperwork. insurance needs all the customs forms....

Mission aborted.

As the others have said. We tried crossing with the '55 way back when it was little more than a rusty hulk. We STILL had to wait the requisite 72 hours AND hit up BOTH sides.

I have imported at least 6 or 8 vehicles , it is up to you to stop at us customs or not , the canadian customs could not care less, the only downside is if you go over the border with the vehicle in the future and you were to get in an accident , if the us police were to run the vin # it would come back as a smuggled vehicle from the usa at which time they can choose to impound, fine or do nothing. I have done both , the pacific border crossing is quick and easy with no waiting, have your bill of sale, with you, they will have you take a number wait in line , compare your sale price to their black book, determine if correct in their eyes so there is little point in bs the value, they will then have an agent go out look at the vehicle, search it if they feel so inclined, come back in stamp your paperwork, pay the bill and your good to go

I decided it is not worth it to not be able to cross the boarder into the US in my truck. I'll bring it up in a few weeks with my papers in order.

I decided it is not worth it to not be able to cross the boarder into the US in my truck. I'll bring it up in a few weeks with my papers in order.

Do you really think thats a hassle ??
Just imagine if your @ a party , someone smokes Bud ,cops play SS & stupid , court and your now branded a druggie , USA will not let you into the states or could stop you flying in the air space.

It's a BS call , but do a Importation Violation , you are screwed , and getting any pardon ,, got me ?

I've seen guys spend 20g just to clear there name ..

Me , I keep my nose well picked.

Remember ONE thing , these border / cops / judges / have a job to do and prove themselves there doing it for the system .

I was @ a party , cops arrested folks smoking , and me , I don't smoke , but my buddies do ,(not 4 me) , So it cost me $$$$.$ just to clear my name.
I was the DD for the evening ...

I can't believe you even asked for some paper work and 100 bucks !!

VT

VT. I don't appreciate the implication that I'm some sort of pot smoking idiot. I took some bad advice. Changed what I was doing before it became a problem. I cross the boarder regurally--I'm fully aware of the its seriousness.

I never said that You were..

Just i know of some that when were younger , are now wishing they had not got into s***.
Folks I know when they were trying to go on vacation on an Airplane to Mexico , but because of smoking dope when a kid , the 2 parents and 2 kids never made the plane because they were not to fly over US air space.
This is not the first time I have heard of folks trying to clear the name from minor pot smoking crap.
it costs Big $$$.

You wanted to bypass something , across a border . Now your into a totally different set of rules & Jail time .
Thats all ..

I cross border's many times also . Glad you had listen to your wife..
Slide your passport though a CC reader , huge amount of info on that . same as our BC / WA enhanced licence.

Have a safe and good crossing ,

I set off the radioactive pickups in Anacortes WA last year,
Thats how you can get real attention quickly . The day before i was given Isotopes i think and a cat-scan for a full medical for one of my Licences (age and licence requirement ) . I never had a clue , but boy did that place wake up . After a few hours , they figured it out.

Edit Add. Folks who smoke dope in my book are the same as those who have a beer . :beer:

Both can become an idiot with too much.

VT

Last edited:
I will be paying forever to clear my name.:ban:

Good call on scrapping the mission until things are in order.

Last edited:
Thanks prado t

That is the point I was trying to make.

VT

I just went brought a 60 up from Portland and yes there is a 72 hour rule. give them more time than less there is a few tricks as well in terms of which crossing to go through to make it a little more streamlined and what exactly you must have. PM me and I will pass on my number. I live in Edmonton and would be more than happy to walk you through the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom