Stoo's '84 BJ42 project......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The day I picked it up!!!!
IMG_7547.jpg

IMG_7548.jpg

IMG_7549.jpg

Pretty clean, only a little bit of rust.
3B donk, 300,000km, runs like a top, good brakes, all good!!!!
Aux tank.
AUD$5K with RWC and some rego.

First mods, adding a UHF and a HiLift!
IMG_7634.jpg

A bit of work on the winch jigger this morn,

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7649-1.jpg

IMG_7653.jpg

IMG_7658.jpg

IMG_7660.jpg

Winch sits on a bit of 8 x 150mm plate. This plate will have two perpendicular pieces of 8 x 40mm welded to it at the edges to stop it flexing. Plate will be bolted to the chassis by the tow hook bolts.

The fairlead plate thingo will be welded to the bar, It's all 8mm plate too.
I'll test it and eventually powdercoat the whole lot.

OME springs ordered today, and OME shocks, U-bolts, shackles etc.
And it's in the auto-elecs tomorrow to have the winch wired.

What a good jigger this car is, I love it!!!!!!
My Troopy has been parked for the last week, and is getting jealous I think.

Very nice find! And you have skills. I dont know what you were thinking buying that cherry one now think of all the rust and grit and grime your never going to get a chance to cut out!! Just kidding nice one there! If I hang around your thread very long though I am going to have to get a conversion table out:
MM = Inches
KM = Miles

:D

I hope you realize what that would sell for in the US, figure atleast $10000, not the about $3000 you paid for it.

That is awesome, thrifty diesel with a bitchin' bench seat. Keep updating.

Wow. It sure looks a nice one!

I fitted the new springs / shocks etc a few days ago, and today, whilst on my way to pick up the new extended shackles, the water pump bearings crapped out. Luckily, my mechanic went past on his way back from lunch and towed it to their workshop. It should be all fixed tomorrow.
I did get to the post office eventually, they only sent one pair of shackles, I'll get the other pair in a couple of days.

Since the extended shackles went on, it's handled like s***, wandering all over the road, particularly scary at 100kmh, Suse won't drive it anymore.
If someone in town sold castor wedges I'd have picked some up on Saturday but they don't so I had a crack at making some on the lathe. I had some 8mm plate, and 8mm down to zero over 110mm seemed to be about 5 degrees. It was very slow going, It took me four hours to make them, which saved me only the $80 + freight that I could have bought them for but why not get a bit of lathe practice in? I hadn't used the face plate before.

IMG_8438.jpg

flat bar bent, spaced out a bit and bolted to face plate.

IMG_8456.jpg

After a bit of cutting.

IMG_8462.jpg

Ready to cut to shape.

IMG_8477.jpg

And fitted!
Fitting was easy, and it handles better than before I put the new springs and shackles on, problem solved I think.

Sir,
I admire your tenacity on the shims. Just goes to show "where theres a will, theres a way"

Have you got any pics you could post showing what it looks like with the new OME kit fitted, I am interested to see how much lift it gave you. I am in the process of deciding on suspension for my 84 LX FJ40 which I am in the process of restoring,mine looks just like yours same colour but with the sliding windows on the side.:)

Sorry I never replied 40TOYBOY :eek: , hopefully this pic gives you a bit of an idea.
How is your 40 looking anyhoo?

Much time has passed since I last posted, and little has happened.
I ripped out the rollbar, radio, speakers, still haven't wired up the winch.
But I do drive it a lot.
Yesterday I put some spare 285/75/16 BFG muds on some new 16x8 rims, It looks a bit more chunky now.
IMG_9354-1.jpg

sweet ride so what you think about the ome suspension is it a good ride ?
thinking about buying there 2.5 lift kit did the shackle angle remain good and without the ext shackle was it still nearly the same height cheers for any help and digg yo truck shes a buet

Yeah, ride is pretty good but I'm not sure what's a good shackle angle and what's not. I might try removing the third leaf down, like I've seen mentioned here a lot??

Because I can't restore a shorty and drive it around at the same time, I had to find another one.
We picked up this jigger this morn, from Otto, the same bloke who sold us the last one!
Same as the other one really, 3B motor, power steering, five speed, front discs, but this one is the LX so we get three windscreen wipers ( not sure what's wrong with only two though ? )
And, it's a factory six seater!
It'll be going straight into the shed to be pulled to bits and cleaned up slowly.
Anyhoo, here are some pics...........

IMG_9945.jpg

IMG_9946.jpg

IMG_9950.jpg

Mate,

Does Otto have any other LX's laying around? I want to find some parts for mine....

Nice get - wish I had room to grab another one.

Dan

Today I cleaned up enough of the shed to fit the beige shorty in, but I haven't touched it yet.
What I'm thinking of doing is pulling panels off first, 'not sure where I'll stop, there's a bit of rust here and there.
Maybe I'll pull the whole thing back to rolling chassis??
I'll get the diffs and transfer to my local driveline guy to replace all the bearings / seals etc, whether or not they need it, there are a few oil leaks.
Motor and gearbox are very good, so they'll be left alone for now.

Apart from taking lots of photos so I know where parts came from, and labelling everything, have you any advice?

here's the first 'before' pic anyhoo.

IMG_9977_2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom