Stoo's '84 BJ42 project......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I still don't have the rolling chassis back from the mechanic, so nothing much has happened to the LX, but I've done a few things to the daily driver shorty.....

A mate gave me his Lightforce XGTs, so they went straight on the bullbar.
And today I pulled the winch out of my HDJ78R Troopy, finished the winch cradle, painted a few bits and put it all back together. And the winch works!!!
The Hi-lift isn't in the ideal place now, but that's a job for another day.

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0588-1.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

And the old 8274 has been re-co'd now, with 6HP motor, breathers etc..it's too good for the shorty so it's going in the troopy when the new bullbar arrives.

IMG_0489-1.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

bloody nice mate makin me jealous good to see some staying in oz tho. I wish my bj42 had 5 sp I just have 33in Over Drive and am about to fit a turbo glide system so hopefully that will do it.

AT last!!!! I got the chassis back from my driveline mechanic. Gearbox, clutch, shafts, unis, diffs, bearings, seals etc. all good now.
Next job is cleaning up and painting the chassis and then starting on the rust in the tub.

But given that it's early spring at the bottom of Australia, getting the roof off the daily driver BJ42 for the warmer months is the priority now. This morning I picked up a LHS door ($45 ) and a pair of barn doors ($45) on ebay to chop into half doors. I just need a RHS door now ( and a rollbar ). I hope they suit my model but for that price who cares.

Also, today I fitted an aux glowplug button so I don't have to glow it ten times on a cold morning.
:clap:

Well, I dragged the shorty stuff over to Wayne's place to get stuck into it today.

$50 ebay door set chopped up!
We used a bit of 40x40 x 1.6 square tube inside the top edge for strength, a perfect fit!
IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

8mm stainless round bar fits into the striker plate perfectly!
IMG_0872.jpg

All welds ground back and fitted, 'very appy with the result.
IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

Next job, the rollbar. Stay tuned..................
IMG_0873.jpg

Today's work,

IMG_0896.jpg

I smashed out some seatbelt mounts on the lathe. 7/16 UNF, why do Toyota use imperial threads for seatbelts, is it a seatbelt standard thread?

IMG_0898-1.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

Roof off and rollbar chucked in.

Also today, I found a driver's side door today for $50 so now I have a pair. The powder coaters will need the rollbar for about 5 days, hopefully I can get the front half doors made in about that time.
I'm thinking of coating the bar in a similar grey to the seats rather than black?
:D

Awesome work.

You are inspiring!

A quick question

G'day Stoo,

I'm enjoying your thread.

I have one quick question. What's with all the 'Crumpler' parahernalia in the shed? If you have OCD apparently they make drugs that help. Although, this might explain your growing collection of 40 series trucks.

Keep the posts coming.

Cheers,

Ben

Rollbar should be off to the powdercoaters tomorrow, and we should get time to chop the doors early-mid this week.
Chopping here.........
IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

Tailgate is looking ok, it's not going to be a perfect job but it'll match the rest of the car.
IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

Looking good Stoo. I recently bought a pair of ebay mirrors too for my 40. The mirrors themselves are good, but hey are constructed cheaply when you compare them with the OEM ones. They still move out of position when i'm pushing 100kph. :doh:
Geez, those custom plates must have stung you a fair bit! Nice! :eek:

Good to hear from you Otto, I hope you're enjoying being back in Hungary.
Don't worry, I didn't chop up any bits of your white shorty, it'll all go back together as a hardtop OK for winter.
Do let me know when you're back, I'll drop past in the shorty!

Yeah Dan, they are cheap and nasty but they'll do the job. Super glue in the pivots perhaps? The plates were a few bucks but why not?

Hi Stoo! This bj is yours..! She is in good hands(other two as well) I still have four left(2 lx,1bj42,hj47) but I'm not selling them any more. I'll let you know when i back.

Hi! It is a ute.I have to get Jake to send you some pictures. Very nice truck,almost good as my mustard lx. one owner,orig invoice($16000 in 1984!!!) it was hobby truck,stock . My daily driver .It was a special order factory green.

Otto,

Good to see that you are online and found the forum.

Stoo,

The Lightforce and winch look great - they are on my wish list, but as I found out this morning, someone is loosening my wheel nuts, so I am not too keen on leaving it out on the street at the moment.

Dan

Another full day in the workshop today, lots done...........

Both doors had rusty lower corners so we chopped up a bit of 1/8 plate with the plasma cutter and zapped ( cocky s*** style ) them in.
IMG_0945-1.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

Inside edge needed a bit of extra plate.
IMG_0949.jpg

Channel for the top of the doors.
IMG_0941.jpg

Tacked together.
IMG_0951-1.jpg

Pattern made for the door trim.
IMG_0956-1.jpg

And then we realised we'd stuffed it all up!!!!!!
I'm not sure where we went wrong but the rear end of the new door top is about 1.5" too high, after bolting one of the doors on I decided not to cut it all off and start again. I'll just cut a larger radius on the top right edge and live with it.
IMG_0961-1.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

So, just a bit of grinding, painting, bogging, painting, making the door trims and it'll be back on the road.
Weeha!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom