Stone walled with 91’ Prado Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About 6 months ago I blew a head gasket on my Japanese import, 91’ LJ71 Prado, right hand drive, 5 speed manual. When I had it shipped back to me, it wouldn’t start without starter fluid. And when it does start and runs, it smokes like a banshee. Also noted, it will start on its own after it has ran for 10 mins, but if left sit for half an hour, it needs starter fluid again.

We were told from the initial repair shop to prime the fuel filter, but the primer never stiffens after 30-40 pumps. The glow plug light also turns off quick, even from a cold start.

The shop it’s at now is having an issue knowing what direction to go since we can’t source a repair manual in English. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

394AE19D-E618-4DCE-90FA-C1FBE63AF369.jpeg

You should be able to download the FSM for your land cruiser here

From your description of the issue, I would say you have a small leak in the fuel system that is allowing the fuel to travel back into the tank when it sits. Air can get in, but fuel does not leak out. You can inspect all connections and rubber fuel lines, clamps, etc. There are a few threads on the forums on chasing down fuel supply issues.

Good luck, hopefully the shop will take it back and do it right with the FSM. Otherwise, track down a reputable land cruiser shop in your area if all else fails. Good luck! :cheers:

You should be able to download the FSM for your land cruiser here

From your description of the issue, I would say you have a small leak in the fuel system that is allowing the fuel to travel back into the tank when it sits. Air can get in, but fuel does not leak out. You can inspect all connections and rubber fuel lines, clamps, etc. There are a few threads on the forums on chasing down fuel supply issues.

Good luck, hopefully the shop will take it back and do it right with the FSM. Otherwise, track down a reputable land cruiser shop in your area if all else fails. Good luck! :cheers:
This was very helpful, thank you much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom