Stolen Gas Cap on FJ45, possible non OEM Filler Neck...seeking advice. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I own a 1980 FJ45, purchased about 6 months ago and work in progress. Recently I noticed my gas cap was missing...I assume it was stolen since I have only fueled it twice since owning it.

Anyhow, none of the various OEM and 3rd party replacement caps I have purchased fit.

I think the vehicle may have a non original filler neck, and thus the factory spec caps don't fit it.

Just curious if anyone has a suggestion about how to track down a fuel cap in my situation. Have attached a photo of the filler neck. I have ordered 3 different variant caps and so far no luck.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cory

20230509_162336.jpg

Have you been back to ask at your gas station? They usually have a pile in the back room that people forgot to put back on.
Looks similar to mine; a photo of the other side might be more telling.

I left it parked on the street for about a week because my house was being painted...and the gas cap went missing during that time. It has not been driven much lately and it's been a month or so since I fueled it last. Just noticed it was missing.

I tried a genuine OEM replacement for a 1980 FJ45, along with 2 different caps from various vendors, and still have not found the correct one.

Truck had restoration work done prior to me owning it, and guessing previous owner replaced with OEM filler neck with a new one, non original.

Maybe source an OEM filler neck?

Can you picture the ones you have tried that did not work?

Unsure if this is helpful, but here are 3 I have.

OEM accessory locking cap

The cap from my Con Ferr aux tank, it is too big of a diameter to fit factory filler neck.

Recently purchased Replacement 78’ FJ40 cap from AutoZone

IMG_8458.jpeg

IMG_8457.jpeg

IMG_8456.jpeg

Here is the filler neck from my Con Ferr aux tank for comparison.

Best guess is this might be close?
IMG_8459.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

That looks the closest I have seen. I will take some measurements in the morning and see if I can get a bit more detail. Is that lod something you would be interested in selling?

That looks the closest I have seen. I will take some measurements in the morning and see if I can get a bit more detail. Is that lod something you would be interested in selling?
No not interested in selling, you might be able to do a search and find one. This one appears much newer than Con Ferr existed.

Here is some information from a similar but different problem with solution.

The Con Ferr Aux tank gas cap (once upon a time) crossed over to an International Scout gas cap (presumably from the mid-1970s).

It looks like the filler neck on my NWMP aux tank, your on a hunt, I would try and find one or hit the local station and dig thru the box til you find one that fits.

I own a 1980 FJ45, purchased about 6 months ago and work in progress. Recently I noticed my gas cap was missing...I assume it was stolen since I have only fueled it twice since owning it.

Anyhow, none of the various OEM and 3rd party replacement caps I have purchased fit.

I think the vehicle may have a non original filler neck, and thus the factory spec caps don't fit it.

Just curious if anyone has a suggestion about how to track down a fuel cap in my situation. Have attached a photo of the filler neck. I have ordered 3 different variant caps and so far no luck.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cory

View attachment 3322821

NONE of the various Fuel Caps have works Cory , Because NONE of them are for a 1980 NON-USA-Far-Away : FJ45LP-K

- these are 1980 FJ45LP-K Gas - Fuel Caps .....

- Optional LOCKING version

- and well ...now understand why u need a LOCKING one too , sadly :confused:

- but the good news here is you can PM me to discuss this topic here further , and we get one of these NOS bad boyz in the pony express giddy "usps" out to you ....:D

6BCA0DEC-5FF8-42E0-B20A-729A32145071.jpeg
8EBF479E-E129-4E3D-9FB2-5E2A7905D331.jpeg

NONE of the various Fuel Caps have works Cory , Because NONE of them are for a 1980 NON-USA-Far-Away : FJ45LP-K

- these are 1980 FJ45LP-K Gas - Fuel Caps .....

- Optional LOCKING version

- and well ...now understand why u need a LOCKING one too , sadly :confused:

- but the good news here is you can PM me to discuss this topic here further , and we get one of these NOS bad boyz in the pony express giddy "usps" out to you ....:D

View attachment 3328071View attachment 3328072
W to the OEM master.

i like winning ...:princess:

especially when i embark on a TEq special forces A-TEAM UNICORN Parts hunter mission anywhere in the non-usa-far-away destination market regions ....

winning with a JIS kill-shot for the whole dam mother load of NOS is indeed rare , but has happend ...:smokin:

1615345353959.jpeg

1614232795873.png

1684648216497.jpeg

DSCN9970.JPG
DSCN9969.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom