Stolen CATs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

straight pipes, all years.
1662474473802.png

Sorry this happened while you were out with the family. What a pain, thieves got one of mine in December, started cutting the other one but must have been spooked and took off. They also unplugged my O2 sensors, the shop I took it to got a good laugh out of that too. I ended up with a Magnaflow "OEM grade" replacement since Toyota OEM for 98-02 is NLA and there aren't any left in the country. So far so good, but time will tell. I ended up installing the ASFIR transmission skid to hopefully discourage any other attempts.

With the price of cats I’m tempted yo cut my own off, sell and put aftermarket on. Probably still be $500 ahead
Actually I’m pretty sure that the thief that removes the cats doesn’t get much, maybe $100 or even less, the actual criminals are the ones buying it from them, they promote the crime And make all the profits.

Still gawking at how clean your undercarriage is.
FL cars are usually very clean underneath, unless they’ve been used to tow boats in and out the loading ramps, maybe that’s why mine has rust only on the hitch, and not too much, but the rest is completely rust free. Glad it is bc I bought a Silverado old body a few years ago it came from Maine I think, and had to junk it since I couldn’t do any maintenance on it and ended up rotting on my driveway.

Sorry this happened while you were out with the family. What a pain, thieves got one of mine in December, started cutting the other one but must have been spooked and took off. They also unplugged my O2 sensors, the shop I took it to got a good laugh out of that too. I ended up with a Magnaflow "OEM grade" replacement since Toyota OEM for 98-02 is NLA and there aren't any left in the country. So far so good, but time will tell. I ended up installing the ASFIR transmission skid to hopefully discourage any other attempts.
It was a pain and it didn’t ended yet, just got home with the rental 4Runner, 3.30 hours drive felt like 10, very hard to get the comfort of a 100 from another vehicles. What’s available in the mid class market doesn’t get even close!

straight pipes, all years.
View attachment 3107377

@jerryb,

I saw your thread where you were trying to get these to work. Did you get everything working with the sensors and codes?

Love this option.
YES! Read your posts on the mod @jerryb , didn’t understand anything about codes and ratios because I’m not familiar with the system, I guess I’ll have to educate myself more with the programming of my vehicle, I’ve been dealing with vehicle’s repairs and rebuilding all my life but all of them were pre-obd.. so it is very interesting but a bit gibberish to me. BUT if it’s gonna work I’m 100% up for it. Not that I don’t care for the environment, but I do believe that there are MUCH bigger issues to the environment than a few old cars still on the road. Don’t want to get into politics if you know what I mean.

I’d love to hear more.
In the thread you mentioned you did the search to this mod to try it out and see if it works, maybe not expecting 50k miles out of it, not sure if I got it right. So based on your experience and without starting a new thread on the subject, does it work? Is the LC systems going to understand the changes made? If so PLEASE let me know and I’ll start a new thread with my own personal experience after I install them. Mine is a 2005 built 05/2004 non VVT.

Thanks in advance for any information.

@Patron100LC
they work just fine. the urd calibrator box isn't sold any more I think. That unit does work on the vvti. I've probably had four p0430 codes this year. (only when cold)

I would not rely on only one set of regular 02 sensors on the pre 2006 100. Unless I purposefully installed wideband sensors, both banks, just past the forward flange on the straight pipes, and was monitoring AFR on a stand alone gauges.

as a cautionary install, or a mitigation of theft, straight pipes will get you 430 and 420 without ill effect.

I'd almost laugh if I caught someone sawzalling a 200$ pipe off my 100.
I'd either help him, or shoot him, depending on what time it was.

Dang. What a massive PITA.

Here is another deterrent option you can consider:

Dang. What a massive PITA.

Here is another deterrent option you can consider:
Was reading about it last night, if I get the OEM cats installed, and that’s only if I get a satisfactory offer from my insurance company, I’ll have to protect them. Sometimes I park in a supermarket or Home Depot and I see remnants of catalytic theft right there on the floor, pieces of blades or tubing, so it can happen at any time and anywhere.

@Patron100LC
they work just fine. the urd calibrator box isn't sold any more I think. That unit does work on the vvti. I've probably had four p0430 codes this year. (only when cold)

I would not rely on only one set of regular 02 sensors on the pre 2006 100. Unless I purposefully installed wideband sensors, both banks, just past the forward flange on the straight pipes, and was monitoring AFR on a stand alone gauges.

as a cautionary install, or a mitigation of theft, straight pipes will get you 430 and 420 without ill effect.

I'd almost laugh if I caught someone sawzalling a 200$ pipe off my 100.
I'd either help him, or shoot him, depending on what time it was.
Jerry, thanks for the update, I’ll Google some of the terms I don’t get, but the idea is that a straight pipe with some ports welded in and o2 sensors plugged in but spaced out of the flow with either a spacer or washers should work and not be damaging to the engine’s performance (or gas mileage!! I’m already at 12mpg avg). Non VVT btw. Did I get it right?
These OEM straight pipes come with a port? Or I need to make a hole and weld one to it? If so, any parts #s? Thanks for your patience.
I’d love to cruise in peace without worrying about cat theft every time I park for more than 10 minutes. It removes the joy of ownership I gotta tell you. My wife asked me yesterday if maybe a minivan is on the horizon… aghhhh.

Having new OEM cats is just something else to worry about, even with some system of deterrent. I could have pushed my insurance company for a proper settlement but didn't want to make the claim. It's hard for some people but I think this is one of those times when the best solution is to go cheap aftermarket - cats that is. They function, they're lawful and nobody wants to steal them.

You definitely have a point.
And seeing how things going it’s not getting better, crime is on the rise and price of original cats too, don’t feel like going through this again.

I’ll have to make a decision very soon on the catalytic converters I’m going to use, or if I’ll experiment with a delete, and based on the time that takes to deal with the delete, it might not be an option at this moment since I need the car, it’s my daily driver, and I don’t have much time to tinker with my toys anymore. I’m driving a car from work today, but eventually I’ll have to return it.

Having new OEM cats is just something else to worry about, even with some system of deterrent. I could have pushed my insurance company for a proper settlement but didn't want to make the claim. It's hard for some people but I think this is one of those times when the best solution is to go cheap aftermarket - cats that is. They function, they're lawful and nobody wants to steal them.

Posting here this question here, even though it may be wise to start a new thread.

Started my Search for catalytic converters to replace my OEMs stolen and still considering going back to original parts, though aftermarket is cheaper and less desirable so definitely an option, and after a quick search I found 3 different part numbers with different prices, but not much info on the difference.

Partsouq is my to-go place to start the search since they usually have pictures of their items and until now their description was accurate. But since dealing with emissions parts maybe they have different stuff in UAE than in USA.

The part # they have is 17410-50370, and based on the parts that we have here at the dealership, it’s available and costs around $1100 each. Considering Toyota of North Miami since it’s kinda local and don’t have to get it shipped.

The question is what’s the other catalytic converters available from our dealership? Parts 17401-50230 and 17401-50240?
That cost about $400 more, they have the plug for the o2 sensor in the middle of the packing and it’s a screw in plug, not like the first that comes with the 2 little screws holding the sensor on the diamond shaped flange.
Since I Don’t have my cats anymore to verify, which one is it that I need?
It’s a 2005 non VVT manufactured in 2004 btw.

all the cat pipes from all years are the same as far as the flanges go and line up.
pre vvti have the o2 bug with the flange to the stern of the catalyst.

if PS had these- 17410-50370 that would be what you want. Those are identical = quantity two. impex or megazip?

the 230 and 240 are left and right vvti cats. Part numbers a different because the bungs point inward and vertical.

any 100 could use any cat from any year and use the 02 sensor that matches with the cat provided and wire as needed, or weld a new bung, which is cheap.

I'd use whatever cat for whatever year of 100 that I could manage to find- if I thought it was worth 2k. I don't. $800 each, maybe.

Mine is not a BAT auction worthy 100. If it was I'd make it look perfect.

ya know, there's nothing wrong with buying some ebay walkers @ 580$ each. People say they work, IDK

@Patron100LC How did insurance respond? If you have comprehensive coverage, I think every penny of the situation should be easily covered. Should cover the towing, brand new OEM part of whatever legal variety you want, install, any associated repairs, etc....

This is probably a $6k incident. I'd certainly be filing a claim. It'll be a logistical annoyance, but shouldn't be a financial burden beyond the rental car /second car in the meantime.

Damn thieves. Causing thousands in damage to get themselves a few hundred bucks.

all the cat pipes from all years are the same as far as the flanges go and line up.
pre vvti have the o2 bug with the flange to the stern of the catalyst.

if PS had these- 17410-50370 that would be what you want. Those are identical = quantity two. impex or megazip?

the 230 and 240 are left and right vvti cats. Part numbers a different because the bungs point inward and vertical.

any 100 could use any cat from any year and use the 02 sensor that matches with the cat provided and wire as needed, or weld a new bung, which is cheap.

I'd use whatever cat for whatever year of 100 that I could manage to find- if I thought it was worth 2k. I don't. $800 each, maybe.

Mine is not a BAT auction worthy 100. If it was I'd make it look perfect.

ya know, there's nothing wrong with buying some ebay walkers @ 580$ each. People say they work, IDK
Thanks for the info, at $1100 a side and since I’m close by a dealership, no shipping needed, it’s a possibility, obviously I’ll need additional stuff, sensors and miscellaneous.
I do have 2 straight pipes in my cart at partsouq, about to click on them if I make the decision of going cat-less.
Aftermarket is not “that far off”, If the magnaflows are almost a grand and others will not last and cause issues, then saving $500-$600 in total savings to go for aftermarket isn’t really making sense in my mind.
Mine isn’t a BAT high dollar either, not at all, but it is a daily driver and reliability and longevity are a priority for me and I’m ok spending a bit more for OEM if that’s what’s going to make a difference. I do have other cars but they’re for sale, not registered on my name, on those my moto is Cheapest as long as it fits.
My reason to consider non-cat pipes is to remove the worries of leaving the car unattended, always had them, and now it became Way more real.

@Patron100LC How did insurance respond? If you have comprehensive coverage, I think every penny of the situation should be easily covered. Should cover the towing, brand new OEM part of whatever legal variety you want, install, any associated repairs, etc....

This is probably a $6k incident. I'd certainly be filing a claim. It'll be a logistical annoyance, but shouldn't be a financial burden beyond the rental car /second car in the meantime.

Damn thieves. Causing thousands in damage to get themselves a few hundred bucks.
I filed the claim with my Geico insurance the night of the incident, they contacted me to get some additional info and while I was on the phone with them I received a call from the hotel’s insurance company since I issued a formal complaint the same morning I found out. Sent them a couple receipts for the tow and rental, and some info on what was stolen and the lady said she’ll contact me within 24-48 hours, so I still have an open claim with my insurance company but I’m waiting also on the Farmers insurance from the hotel since my deductible is $1000, and my previous experience with insurance claims wasn’t very good.

About 10 years ago I issued a claim for an idiot that rear ended my armored Jeep while texting and didn’t see I was in a stop light, his suv was totaled, mine had a bent spare tire swing arm. My insurance premium went up, that $1000 claim I ended up paying back within a couple of years of rate increments.

Since then I’m avoiding dealing with insurance unless something major will happen where the payout will upset the future penalties.

If the hotel’s insurance comes back with a couple $$ that will cover for some of the expenses I won’t even consider having Geico pay for this.

Thanks for the info, at $1100 a side and since I’m close by a dealership, no shipping needed, it’s a possibility, obviously I’ll need additional stuff, sensors and miscellaneous.
I do have 2 straight pipes in my cart at partsouq, about to click on them if I make the decision of going cat-less.
Aftermarket is not “that far off”, If the magnaflows are almost a grand and others will not last and cause issues, then saving $500-$600 in total savings to go for aftermarket isn’t really making sense in my mind.
Mine isn’t a BAT high dollar either, not at all, but it is a daily driver and reliability and longevity are a priority for me and I’m ok spending a bit more for OEM if that’s what’s going to make a difference. I do have other cars but they’re for sale, not registered on my name, on those my moto is Cheapest as long as it fits.
My reason to consider non-cat pipes is to remove the worries of leaving the car unattended, always had them, and now it became Way more real.

I filed the claim with my Geico insurance the night of the incident, they contacted me to get some additional info and while I was on the phone with them I received a call from the hotel’s insurance company since I issued a formal complaint the same morning I found out. Sent them a couple receipts for the tow and rental, and some info on what was stolen and the lady said she’ll contact me within 24-48 hours, so I still have an open claim with my insurance company but I’m waiting also on the Farmers insurance from the hotel since my deductible is $1000, and my previous experience with insurance claims wasn’t very good.

About 10 years ago I issued a claim for an idiot that rear ended my armored Jeep while texting and didn’t see I was in a stop light, his suv was totaled, mine had a bent spare tire swing arm. My insurance premium went up, that $1000 claim I ended up paying back within a couple of years of rate increments.

Since then I’m avoiding dealing with insurance unless something major will happen where the payout will upset the future penalties.

If the hotel’s insurance comes back with a couple $$ that will cover for some of the expenses I won’t even consider having Geico pay for this.
Comprehensive and collision incidents are two different things. A collision claim is probably going to raise your rates whether you were at fault or not. A comprehensive claim often does not raise your rates at all and I believe in some states it's even prohibited by law.

Agreed that it's best to avoid insurance where possible and if the hotel insurance will cover it, that's certainly better than using your own. It's a numbers game and the insurance company is a for-profit institution. If you have a multi-thousand dollar comprehensive incident and you don't claim it, you're just giving the insurance company profit via your premium without cashing in on it when you should.

Let us know how it turns out!

One Walker 53436 on Amazon is $475 with free shipping. But that's too high end in my view. I spent $268 for AP and it works fine, as several others have reported on this forum. But those are both direct fit, that is bolt on (5 bolts) from flange to flange. Where you really start to save money is to buy universal cats and patch them into your existing flanges - either with pieces and clamps or welding. In that case Magno Flow is about $200 and Walker is about $130. Too cheap for your prized 100 series? Maybe but also too cheap to be stolen again. They perform better than straight pipes and are clearly emission legal. If you're going to go cheap you might as well go all the way. You can always upgrade later if and when society comes to grip with the problem.

Comprehensive and collision incidents are two different things. A collision claim is probably going to raise your rates whether you were at fault or not. A comprehensive claim often does not raise your rates at all and I believe in some states it's even prohibited by law.

Agreed that it's best to avoid insurance where possible and if the hotel insurance will cover it, that's certainly better than using your own. It's a numbers game and the insurance company is a for-profit institution. If you have a multi-thousand dollar comprehensive incident and you don't claim it, you're just giving the insurance company profit via your premium without cashing in on it when you should.

Let us know how it turns out!
Good to know, I’ll keep you posted on the results of the claims, I’m not holding my breath on the hotel’s compensation, but since it’s a huge commercial insurance covering a huge hotel chain maybe they’ll throw a bone to this side just to get rid of me. If not then my insurance claim is still standing and all they’re waiting for is an estimated cost of repairs by a mechanic shop. Since Toyota of North Miami is a couple of miles from my job I guess that’s where I’m gonna take it.

BTW, got one of your keys for a couple years already, dropped it countless times, still strong. Great product!
2D28100E-3498-4896-8492-DE54C22415B0.jpeg

One Walker 53436 on Amazon is $475 with free shipping. But that's too high end in my view. I spent $268 for AP and it works fine, as several others have reported on this forum. But those are both direct fit, that is bolt on (5 bolts) from flange to flange. Where you really start to save money is to buy universal cats and patch them into your existing flanges - either with pieces and clamps or welding. In that case Magno Flow is about $200 and Walker is about $130. Too cheap for your prized 100 series? Maybe but also too cheap to be stolen again. They perform better than straight pipes and are clearly emission legal. If you're going to go cheap you might as well go all the way. You can always upgrade later if and when society comes to grip with the problem.
Yup, definitely the OEMs are super overpriced, maybe without any reason but a sticker that says Toyota, I’ll look at the AP, may be the right way, won’t hurt much today and either if it happens again tomorrow.
It’s not that my car is a jewel, very far from it, but just as it happens with our axles or even AC blower fans, we get the cheap aftermarket because we want to save money today but we end up paying for it in lost time and money tomorrow.
Probably I’m overthinking it, after all it’s a tube that removes waste gasses from the engine, it isn’t more than that.
Thanks for your reply.

Meantime I’m driving this monstrosity

EC4C77D5-7981-4224-A724-2A8D798BFE14.jpeg

Not my type but it has 4 wheels, ac, and it’s free (for now)..

Last edited:
What do they fort for a cat? $30-40 in platinum? I assume that’s what they’re after? So lame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom