Stolen Catalytic Converter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Both Mighty Muffler and Exhaust Pros quoted >$4k. That's for the whole system, manifold to tailpipe. And I'll definitely put a cage on it, one way or another.
More than $4000 for that? It BETTER be 304SS full custom exhaust, as the FACTORY exhaust is about $3500 and it fits perfectly. @COYS recently bought his entire exhaust system from Toyota (on a sale)

I bought my Magnaflow down pipe from O'Reilly's for about $300 (4 years ago) they are more than that now. The additional cat is also available from them. You can also buy the Bosal muffler from them. I have less than $1000 in my entire exhaust and it took me about 8 hours to install all of it, as it was a great fit. However, I would be pissed if my OEM exhaust got cut and insurance wouldn't pay for exact replacement.

Sorry to hear the bastards got to yours. I worry about mine. I too have gone w Magnaflow replacement CATs and have had no issues. I'm in Commiefornia and would imagine anything that works here would work in CO. Here's a thread if you want to look at what others have been chatting about regarding CAT theft.

Please post any cage/plate security fixes you come across please. I don't wheel/offroad and my wife prefers running boards to the white knuckle sliders so I'm still looking for a good solution. I think full skid plates would be the best deterrent but haven't found ones for our 80s

Bump it off road makes nice step sliders which are the same size/shape as the og running boards but have some cat protection. Not sure if they will prevent theft but I installed these on my 80 to keep the step functionality while also increasing protection/etc.

Mine stolen too. Recently increased my auto coverage because thefts are common and boom it’s gone. Have Geico so doubt they cover OEM if USAA doesn’t. Might just take it to exhaust shop for a weld in aftermarket.

Bump it off road makes nice step sliders which are the same size/shape as the og running boards but have some cat protection. Not sure if they will prevent theft but I installed these on my 80 to keep the step functionality while also increasing protection/et
Bump it off road makes nice step sliders which are the same size/shape as the og running boards but have some cat protection. Not sure if they will prevent theft but I installed these on my 80 to keep the step functionality while also increasing protection/etc.
Thanks! I just reached out to them - the website says they aren’t taking orders at the moment.

I just reached out to them - the website says they aren’t taking orders at the moment.

I don't have any current info on these but in case it's helpful I ordered mine early Spring of '21 and they arrived about a year later this past Spring. Even though prices of materials were steadily going up they honored the original price quote and delivered them per the timeline they shared when I placed the order. In short I think BIOR is a solid operation and I'm really happy with the the sliders delivered. I think I placed my order via the website and then they called to confirm the details after but I may be remembering that incorrectly. In any case I'd call before giving up on the sliders being available.

Etch your VIN in each cat and paint them orange. Make the VIN visible to a thief. No recycler will them them. If they can't be bought, they won't be stolen.

Unless they steal them and find out about the vin later. Most people are doing a quick grab and paying attention to the quick cut and their surroundings, not the bright orange vin. Couldn't hurt though.

Etch your VIN in each cat and paint them orange. Make the VIN visible to a thief. No recycler will them them. If they can't be bought, they won't be stolen.

Just curious if paint on a cat will not burn and peel off due to the high temps?

The dam recyclers need to quit buying them that would stop the hole problem.
The recyclers are as much of the problem as the dam Tweakers.

Sorry for your loss!!

I’m pretty sure a lot of these don’t go to scrap yards. They enter black market channels and head to China

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom