Stolen Cat. converter pls. help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a used cat off a different vehicle, went to sell it at a swap meet for $40, and sold it within 5 minutes of the meet opening up. This guy had a cart full of cat's. He buys them up to scrap them. What's worse is that I needed that cat just 6 months later, and spent $100 to get another...

A neighboring business to ours uses those Mercedes/Dodge sprinter vans, and all of their cats got cut out in one night, costing them tons of money to replace.

I'm in San Francisco, but I was thinking in my case maybe another fjz80 owner needed a CAT thats the reason they didn't cut mine they unbolted it. Maybe it makes less noise also I don't know.

Last edited:
I'm in San Francisco, but I was thinking in my case maybe another fjz80 owner needed a CAT thats the reason they didn't cut mine they unbolted it. Maybe it makes less noise also I don't know.

The thieves will unbolt them, it's quieter. Sawzall is a little quicker but noisier. Mine was unbolted.

The thieves will unbolt them, it's quieter. Sawzall is a little quicker but noisier. Mine was unbolted.

So did they also take just one, and how did you replace it oem or after market, what brand, any problems after? Thanks

So did they also take just one, and how did you replace it oem or after market, what brand, any problems after? Thanks

Well, this was my '90 4Runner, so it only had one cat. I replaced it with an aftermarket, don't know the brand. It did pass the next smog check before the car was totalled.:frown:

Thats crazy, sorry to hear about that.

Some body stole mine and welded in two nice straight pipes in it's place...

Seriously though, that does stink. They are pretty brave around here, central Kentucky, at stealing metal.

I work for the government, the State of Kentucky. We have a state motor pool of vehicles that is behind a locked fence. A group of people got in and cut most all the cats off of the motor pool vehicles and piled them up on the outside of the fence. Got scared off and an investigation commenced but no one did anything with the pile of cats. The group came back that night and grabbed them all.

We live out in the country and people will break in empty houses and remove all the copper plumbing as well. Cut the lines right off your home A/C as well. Pretty brazen these folks are.

Best of luck to all you guys in the outcome.

Kevin

If anybody needs CA legal cat I pulled mine last week & put on a hi-flo model just to keep the O2 sensor happy - I have 165K on them, I don't know how much longer they last but I've ran premium unleaded ever since my HG job back @ 125K - I have no clue if gas grade effects cats either, just telling it like it is.

My LC was originally titled in CA, so that's the reason I say mine are CA legal - until this thread I thought cats were identical either CA or 49 state.

if you have a low deductible check with your insurance company if the theft is covered, might be a shot in the dark but i may be worth it

THIS.

The Cat, new from toyota, will be about $450. If they used a sawzall, they may have damaged other piping as well. Granted, an aftermarket cat will be much cheaper. If your car is paid-off and you have full-coverage you could always apply the difference toward an ARB... just saying ;)

I've been to 3 shops and all of them said I can only get the the CAT from a dealer, man that suck and my deductible is $500

If anybody needs CA legal cat I pulled mine last week & put on a hi-flo model just to keep the O2 sensor happy - I have 165K on them, I don't know how much longer they last but I've ran premium unleaded ever since my HG job back @ 125K - I have no clue if gas grade effects cats either, just telling it like it is.

My LC was originally titled in CA, so that's the reason I say mine are CA legal - until this thread I thought cats were identical either CA or 49 state.

I've been to 3 shops and all of them said I can only get the the CAT from a dealer, man that suck and my deductible is $500

Why don't you get the one from Linus? (posted above)

As a side note, i just ordered some replacement cats and y-pipe as mine have a lot of miles on them and i am looking to get new fresh ones in there. Where does one go about selling cats for money? in other words, where are these thieves taking the stolen cats?

I think it is illegal to do anything other than scrap used cats. however, you cannot take them to your local scrapyard hoping to get money for them (they can't buy the cats individually - only if attached to cars/other metal and you get a "dirty steel" price of $10/100lbs or so). What I have done is posted an ad on craigslist saying I have 3 batteries and 5 cats for sale, a sketchy looking guy will come to your meeting place (not your home, I hope) and give you $8-$10 per battery (more if they are the giant case) and $20-$40 per cat, again depending on the size. They will not give much for aftermarket cats, and if a cat is rattling (the insides are loose/missing) it isn't worth very much either.

I think ultimately they take them to a place where the inside is melted-out and then sold as a precious metal. Obviously, the sketchy craigslist guy is going to make money off of you - but you are rid of your cats for a lot better price than the scrapyard will give.

in ca, recyclers are SUPPOSED to get all of the sellers info and a photo in case they are selling stolen cats. i have 4 huge flood light in my front driveway. at night the front of my house looks like a fortress. i also have signs saying " i dont dial 911 with a pic of a gun on it." i make it a point that i have guns and will use pull one on you if necessary. ask the old tennants across the street that thought itd be ok to run all over peoples yards and jumping on cars. trust me my yard didnt get a single foot stepped on it. ( probably cause i sat a chair down in my driveway with my 870 in hand ) god i love my guns.

in ca, recyclers are SUPPOSED to get all of the sellers info and a photo in case they are selling stolen cats. i have 4 huge flood light in my front driveway. at night the front of my house looks like a fortress. i also have signs saying " i dont dial 911 with a pic of a gun on it." i make it a point that i have guns and will use pull one on you if necessary. ask the old tennants across the street that thought itd be ok to run all over peoples yards and jumping on cars. trust me my yard didnt get a single foot stepped on it. ( probably cause i sat a chair down in my driveway with my 870 in hand ) god i love my guns.

I almost spit out my soda reading this.. funny stuff

hahah sorry man. i got off topic a bit. i was in the zone though

South or North Sac?

I'm in an "Un incorporated " part of sac. Closer to antelope, north highlands and citrus heights.
My area is called " foothill farms"

Last edited:
This problem happens everywhere but I do not miss Cali's thieves, they lead the way in new and inventive ways to seperate you and your $!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom