STOKED! '85 FJ60 moves to Vermont

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Stoked! On Thursday 12-18-2014 @~9PM a transport truck disgorged this beauty:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1985-fj60-5-3l-vortec-portland-oregon.825458/

'85 FJ60.jpg

As promised the PO sent me an ample mountain of receipts which I have carefully organized and am going through….I have a lot to learn about the drivetrain etc. but things are in good shape so far and I am VERY fortunate to be able to start so far ahead on this truck which will be massaged into my year round tree work truck/DD. The PO obviously invested in and took care of this truck. THANKS Werrea!

I have to take care of a few things (remove tint from front windows (done) - adjust ebrake, strengthen left leg (manual clutch (H55 tranny) is Very stiff) in order to pass inspection But I am pretty darned STOKED!!!!

As for receipts…..One of my favorites so far from 2 owners ago…."shuttled customer and wolf to airport via employee vehicle"

Looks like I will need to remove some traces of wolf, yeti, and great dane hair from the interior…...:bounce:

Thanks! I'll be in touch as I progress and develop a list of parts/spares I'll want….

Presumably you will drive it through a swimming pool filled with Cosmoline, or park it inside all winter? ;). Seriously - a great looking truck. I'll bet that get a few stares in Vermont!

Nice rig!!!!!!!!

Presumably you will drive it through a swimming pool filled with Cosmoline, or park it inside all winter? ;). Seriously - a great looking truck. I'll bet that get a few stares in Vermont!

Planning on fluid film investment. Lots and lots of Fluid film…..I have to driving it in the Winter:crybaby:

Lots and lots of Fluid film

Beware of the stench. It never seems to go away..and can be very irritating. If you use it, be careful where you spray it. If sprayed inside a body panel (doors), your car will stink forever.

If you haven't used it before, buy a small aerosol can of it and spray a bit inside a coffee can or something.

Stick your nose in there and sniff it every few weeks... months...
That is what your entire car will smell like for months and months and months and months..........more than a year if sprayed inside a body panel.

It doesn't seem to bother some guys.

Thanks you for the reminder - I have heard heard that about the smell. I will carefully apply and hope that the olfactory combination of wolf, yeti, & great dane hair/fur is a good combo with fluid film…….If a little stench thwarts rust?…bring on the stench!

I used Fluid Film on my 62 and found that the worst of the smell dissipates in a week or so. But then it is cold out, so I imagine that it might return with the heat. To me, wet sheep smell better than strong chemicals like Cosmoline or LPS3. Some sort of rust protection is mandatory in New England. You have to choose between devils.

Gorgeous truck. That hood paint scheme looks very familiar. I recall a Mudder with an avatar of the Abominable Snowmonster having one that looked like it. Perhaps it's the same?

I used Fluid Film on my 62 and found that the worst of the smell dissipates in a week or so. But then it is cold out, so I imagine that it might return with the heat. To me, wet sheep smell better than strong chemicals like Cosmoline or LPS3. Some sort of rust protection is mandatory in New England. You have to choose between devils.

Gorgeous truck. That hood paint scheme looks very familiar. I recall a Mudder with an avatar of the Abominable Snowmonster having one that looked like it. Perhaps it's the same?

For sure the same truck. "werrea" (Mudname) has the bumble as his avatar. I bought the truck from him. The black on the hood is a 3M plastic film…. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/blackout-hood-install-complete.728434/

Where in NH are you? (PM if you prefer)

Best,

Rob "stayalert" M

CVT????…Figured it out….No RTT in the sale….

Last edited:
Happy for you...but sad for the cruiser. What the east coast does to these beloved rigs is heart breaking. Had recently read about using linseed oil as a rust inhibitor. Might want to check that out if FF is too stinky. Please keep the salt off....that's a beaut.

I have sprayed aerosol Lithium grease (as used on hood latches, door locks, etc.) inside doors and rear quarter panels. It smells, but isn't horrible and gets better over time. It's runny and creeps into cracks and seams, then the light solvent carrier evaporates. If you garage the truck, leave a couple windows open (a few inches) at all times, and while the inside will get dustier, it will allow the smells to dissipate. I'd still vote that you drive an old Volare in the winter and park the Cruiser inside, sealed in an argon/nitrogen inert gas atmosphere ;)

Just go to Carrarra's by Rutland for hot oil undercoat. Repeat every fall.

Very nice! Congratz!!

If you're looking to do the inside is the doors just use ATF as kevin from Wagoneer does, or buy some cavity wax - it's made for this area. B

Take a picture of the white tailgate up close. I guarantee small rust spots will appear in a week or so. It'll be the surface rust forming in all the tiny paint chips.

I would do a clay bar wax job and get some touch up paint and go to town with a magnifying glass.

I drove my first fj62 from the Mojave to Vermont and it started to rust almost instantly.

Wax and wash that thing like your life depends on it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom