Stock Wheels with Hubcaps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As the later wheels fit both drum and disc axles, you might as well get them.

Check the parts for sale section, someone always has wheels for sale.

You can fit 33 x 1050 on the stock wheels. I'm not aware of any 35" tires that are narrow enough for the stock rims but Super Swamper's come in both 9.5 and 10.5 inch width in 34's.

Web%20CMCC2007%20117fs.jpg

My 55 with stock wheels, 33 x 1050 MT's

What is commonly referred to as "disc brake rims" were actually stock prior to disc brakes. They came out in 1973. Many of you are probably running disc brake rims and don't even know it.

As mentioned before, the way to tell is to look at the back of the rim and see if it rivoted or welded.

You can make non-disc brake rims fit onto disc brake setups by grinding the rivots down to clear the calipers. You can then weld the seams (like the later model rims) if you feel that you have sacrificed the structural integrity of the rim.

I have found this to work with the factory 40/45/55 disc brake setups but if you use 60/62 calipers, they still won't clear. For some reason the 60/62 calipers are a bit wider at a certain spot and the grinding method still lets the rim to come into contact with the caliper. You can then grind a little notch into the caliper where the rims rub to make them work. Or..... you could run a 1/4" spacer if you wanted to.

HTH's someone out there.

can 35" tires fit on stock rims?

depends on the width. i've got 12.5s on there, but just while it's sitting in the driveway. i don't know that i really trust them driving...there's a lot of bulge.

You just go to your local dealer?

I ordered from our club's sponsor, Ralph Hayes Toyota in Anderson, SC. But you can get them from CDan I'll bet. You'll have to pay shipping is all.

What is commonly referred to as "disc brake rims" were actually stock prior to disc brakes. They came out in 1973. Many of you are probably running disc brake rims and don't even know it.

As mentioned before, the way to tell is to look at the back of the rim and see if it rivoted or welded.

You can make non-disc brake rims fit onto disc brake setups by grinding the rivots down to clear the calipers. You can then weld the seams (like the later model rims) if you feel that you have sacrificed the structural integrity of the rim.

I have found this to work with the factory 40/45/55 disc brake setups but if you use 60/62 calipers, they still won't clear. For some reason the 60/62 calipers are a bit wider at a certain spot and the grinding method still lets the rim to come into contact with the caliper. You can then grind a little notch into the caliper where the rims rub to make them work. Or..... you could run a 1/4" spacer if you wanted to.

HTH's someone out there.

So in theory, I could weld the centers, grind out the rivets completly, and they should clear 60 calipars?

Anyone in the bay area want to trade '69 rivet/drum stockers for disk version stockers :D

HTH's someone out there.

Will the 1'4 " spacer get you the clearance you need? I have disk brakes on my 79, but want stock rims, and found a nice set from a 72 for a good price. Any idea what the difference in backspacing is between the 2? Less than 1/4" I hope?

rims and wheels

yeah, i just got mine for my '73 with disc front conversion and they are great! i called Ralph Hayes Toyota in Anderson, SC (800-868-8066) and they got me the right ones and the hubs . . . same as k9crazy's deal . . .

There's also 1 1'2" spacers that bolt on and have thier own studs, and I'm not against that, wouldn't mind widening the stance a bit, but I also don't want to bury my front hubs behind the front hubcaps.

Anybody know how far stock hubs stick out past the hubcaps? FYI, mine is a 79, I think hub stykles changed somewhere with the 30 spline vs. 6 spline configuration.

Anybody know how far stock hubs stick out past the hubcaps? FYI, mine is a 79, I think hub stykles changed somewhere with the 30 spline vs. 6 spline configuration.

course spline went away long before 79, you're probably thinking of the long early hubs/housings on the 76-78 cruisers vs. the shorter hub bodies on teh 79 and later.

course spline went away long before 79, you're probably thinking of the long early hubs/housings on the 76-78 cruisers vs. the shorter hub bodies on teh 79 and later.

So if I added 1.5" spacers on the front of my 79, would the stock hubcap bury the hubs? I can't tell becuse I don't yet have stock wheels and hubcaps yet in my posession.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom