Stock Turn Signal Functionality? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '67 FJ40 with amber lights below the headlights, and round front facing amber lights on the fender.

Are the ones under the headlights just "parking lights" (ie they do not flash, but they do illuminate with headlights on), or are they meant to flash?

I assume the ones on the fender are normally off, and then flash as turn signal / hazard?

Any info would be appreciated...

I have a '67 FJ40 with amber lights below the headlights, and round front facing amber lights on the fender.

Are the ones under the headlights just "parking lights" (ie they do not flash, but they do illuminate with headlights on), or are they meant to flash?

I assume the ones on the fender are normally off, and then flash as turn signal / hazard?

The ones on the fenders flash when the turn signals are applied.

The 2 small round ones under the headlights are parking lights. They do not flash are are only on at the middle position in the the headlight switch

you can get a bit freeform here on all that , who says there is any rules to the lower bib lamps ?

ERNRAM is correct for an OEM system.
However, just by moving the two Bib light hot wires on the terminal strip to the proper positions, you can make the BIB lights be turn signals or true park lights (on with the Park and the headlights) or they can be both Park and Turn if the bib light socket supports a two element bulb and has three wires coming out of it.

ERNRAM is correct for an OEM system.
However, just by moving the two Bib light hot wires on the terminal strip to the proper positions, you can make the BIB lights be turn signals or true park lights (on with the Park and the headlights) or they can be both Park and Turn if the bib light socket supports a two element bulb and has three wires coming out of it.
What bib lamps are these?

A bit off the subject. I'm thinking about doing a fairly non-invasive bib lamp install with aftermarket 2" amber LED on a later bib. I was thinking about them for auxiliary illumination at camp or on the trail, no switch, just fuse and alligator clip on the battery+.

Some Bib lights came from the factory with dual element bulbs. See the attached pic and you can see the GY wire coming from the Park light that is not connected to anything. Some aftermarket lights also came with two element bulbs.

13W.jpg

We‘ve built dual element front park lights that offer dual function park, turn. If there is legitimate interest I can toss them on CruiserTeq.

443A039D-5EFE-47C4-9D0D-A1C9816E5FEB.jpeg

I would need to check again but I think the new stock bib lights I bought from Toyota had a dual element bulb socket but only one wire. Or maybe just my bad memory. On my 73, I tied the bib lights to the side marker light circuit.

The bib lights were used on the FJ40 from 61 thru 9/69. 9/67 they changed from clear lens to a amber lens. These were the parking light and turn single on the FJ25. FJ40 is when turn signal became a separate light on the fender. The tail light in 61 to 63 were the same light except with a red lens. I know the two 61 FJ40s I've had the front bib lights still have the third wire. The extra wire landed on the terminal strip on the fender.

I would need to check again but I think the new stock bib lights I bought from Toyota had a dual element bulb socket but only one wire. Or maybe just my bad memory. On my 73, I tied the bib lights to the side marker light circuit.

You are correct. The socket was always made for dual element lamps. Pins on lamp are offset not across from each other like on signal element lamps. I converted a few sets with the third wire and aftermarket red lenses for tail lights.

Those are both very non-original vehicles in the collection fwiw.

I thought they looked sketchy.

They are very neat Cruisers and honesty models we didn't know we would ever have in the museum. So beggars can't be choosers.

They are very neat Cruisers and honesty models we didn't know we would ever have in the museum. So beggars can't be choosers.

Are these US import FJ25s or those from South America? For some reason the aftermarket lights are more common there. Wonder if the lack of Toyota dealers is the reason why. The four FJ25s I've owned all had original bib lights. The lenses are all well worn and cracked but all were Toyota bib lights.

Are these US import FJ25s or those from South America? For some reason the aftermarket lights are more common there. Wonder if the lack of Toyota dealers is the reason why. The four FJ25s I've owned all had original bib lights. The lenses are all well worn and cracked but all were Toyota bib lights.

KOITo started out and is a LIGHT HOUSE Lens maker ....

1674086162503.png

1674086233868.png

81610-6001014_2048x.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

Far more rare, FJ28 2dr wagon, JDM build but spent its life in Mexico and a 4dr FJ28LV from Venezuela. Both are rough but as they are so extremely rare, it's well within reason that they live in the LCHM. Have you ever visited?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom