stock tank or fuel cell? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Threads
Time has come to do something about my fuel system. I finally got the TBI problem solved, but the tank is so rusted it plugs the fuel filter in about 10 minutes of running time.
Possible solutions include
seal the tank - cheap, about $35 for alcohol proof sealant. I can use the tank I have that fits well where it's at and it well protected. It is also already modified for a stock GM in tank fuel pump. But, it is in the way of the roll cage I am building. It will require fabrication around the tank for the side bar and the seat mounts. I'm not all together convinced sealer will be a complete solution.
replace with a fuel cell in the back. $160 from summit. Does not take a sending unit or a in tank pump. Another $100 for an external pump. More money for -8AN fittings. takes up room in the back. Safer and cooler.
Relacement tank - same benifits and roll cage problems as option one. Steel will have to be modified, poly would have to have an external pump. Not any cheaper than a cell.
This is for an 80% trail rig.

Any opinions?

I really like my Alum cell...fittings are JIC/37, cheap crossover for the AN expensive ones. External pump is like $70, E8153 master, or modify the tank for an internal. My biggest reason was the ability to drop the seats lower in the cage, much nicer.

go buy a new one for a 73-78 fj 40 from specter or manafre... they are steel tanks with baffles for $250 new. Much better than any poly tank or fuel cell setup you could make IMO..

Baffled tank is very good for TBI setup with less than 1/4 of a tank

you wont save much money with the fuel cell option by the time you find a place to mount it and run all new lines etc

I JUST finished with a poly tank listed to fit a mid 70's CJ. The good thing is that it's poly, and the underseat tank is out. The tough part was getting all the stuff to put it up, and install it.
I welded up a "basket" and had a sheet metal guy bend some 26 ga. sheet for a skid plate, that is welded to the "basket".
Ran fresh 5/16" steel tube (both lines) all the way back as I wanted to keep the return. The tank acomidated all this, and more.
The tank folks didn't carry a sender but Whitney did, had a small mod there, etc.
It's in and works well, went bouncin' around last night, but it was MAJOR putz work.

I went with the poly, under the rear to make more room available in the back. Some guys have sunk cells through the floor, Woody's is in the bed, and looks good.
Do a "fuel tank" or fuel cell" or "gas tank" search on pirate. I found some pics there.
Just my $.02
My 66 under seat tank, sender, straps are here for FREE!

Gumby,

IIRC fuel cell bladders have a relatively short life before they need to be replaced. I am not sure if this is a sanctioning body requirement (kind of like harnesses) or a manufacurer recommended thing. I'd check the ATL web site. The last thing I thing you'd want is to be putting a new bladder in every couple of years $

Gumby,
Did you get the drawing I sent you? Sometimes work e-mail will spit stuff out I'm not suppose too send out.

niner, lets see some screen shots of that tank.

[quote author=Niner link=board=1;threadid=4208;start=0#msg31556 date=1060636359]
Gumby,
Did you get the drawing I sent you? Sometimes work e-mail will spit stuff out I'm not suppose too send out.

[/quote]

I just got home and opened it. Looks good. Thanks. :D

Got any pics or solid models? I'm having a little trouble visualizing it. If I get it all right, I might put it in Inventor sheet metal. It caculates all the bends and flanges and prints out a cut sheet.

Still got the plans on paper. Will make copies and mail out only with Niner's permission.

can you rig up two fuel cells so you can go further distances?

I don't see why not, but this rig's not gonna be for expiditions. I don't need to carry all that extra weight. In fact, my solution was to turn my extra tank into my only tank after I found it had stood up to sitting far better than the stocker. I'm hoping 10 gallons should do it. If not, I'll invest in a Jerry can or two.

gumby.. if your looking for only 10 gals.. go get a geo tracker /zuk sidekick tank,,, it fits like it belongs in front of the rear bumper and it has a hi pressure in tank pump.. i have one for an aux tank.. it kicks ass for onlyu 50 bucks at a salvage yard.. i will email you a pic of it... it works slick as hell

That sounds like the ticket, but I already have a VW beetle tank mounted. I had to notch one of the rear crossmember supports about a half an inch and put the filler hose through the bed bottom. I cut a pump out of a GM tank and welded the pump flange to a hole I cut in the top of the bug tank. I also cut a hole in the bed bottom to access the pump without pulling the tank. The filler hole got a filler cap cover welded in place. The other hole will get a cover fabbed up tomorrow.
The Sidekick idea sounds a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom