Stock spare tire mounting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried to search for a stock spare tire set up with no luck. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
When I bought my 71 over a month ago I also received a few boxes of extra parts. Almost 700 bucks worth of parts. So now I have to figure out where all these extra parts need to go. One part that is bugging me is the spare tire holder, I just couldn't figure out how it mounted.
Unfortunatly my digital camara is busted & I haven't had time to buy a new one. So I searched the internet and finally found a pic of the spare tire holder the PO purchased on eBay.
The pic of the red, is the type of year spare carrier that I have. In the pic, it's on a 1976 w/ ambulance doors.
The pic of the gold one is my rig, obviously I don't have ambulance doors. Is there any way this tire rack will work on my 1971?
Or is this the stock tire carrier for my year. I searched for some time and only found pics of 1976 and later.
Any advise would be welcomed
Thanks, Shawn
jr2[1].jpg
70_12_sb[1].jpg

sometimes the SOR site is a decent reference:
http://www.sor.com/sor/cat142.tam?xax=30755&page.ctx=cat142.tam

You will have to drill new holes in your tub to make the red one work, which I wouldnt do since its pretty easy to get those tire carriers, and you will then have the other factory holes left.
Look in the classifides or post on this board or others that youre looking for a carrier. Someone will have one. Hopefully for free. Though it still looks like you will have other issues with the carrier, due to your bumper covering up the mounting area for the carrier latch. But you can probably figure a way to address that.

cheers-
Dustin

for your 71 it mounts on the rightside(passangerside)

the pic of the red 40 is a 75, the only year(I think) that that style carrier mounted on the left side.

should be easy to find the correct one for the right side, I got one but its on a parts cruiser.......which I just don't feel like parting out.

oh.......also the PO of your 40 seems to have made some mods to the rear end/bumper/sill ect.......and the latch for the carrier might not fit anyway :(

I got one. Let me go make pics of it. It's yours for 20 bucks plus shipping if ya want it. I'd give it away but I need some gas money man. ;) On the latch the bolts rusted and broke so I welded it on, needs a little paint. Solid and strong still. I was about to Ebay it.
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG

Landpimp said:
for your 71 it mounts on the rightside(passangerside)

the pic of the red 40 is a 75, the only year(I think) that that style carrier mounted on the left side.

should be easy to find the correct one for the right side, I got one but its on a parts cruiser.......which I just don't feel like parting out.

76 also had spare on driver side, :) looks like you got the bolts for the top right coner already.

yeah.........75 and 76 ;)

camcruiser13 said:
76 also had spare on driver side, :) looks like you got the bolts for the top right coner already.

I'll have to check to see if it's left or right hand mount tomorrow. And I will need those pins, I know I don't have them. And as far as the rear bumper goes... it's a huge jagged angle iron and will be removed eventually. I'm planning on making a custom bumper soon.
Thanks for posting the pics and all the replies.

Well it looks like I have the correct spare mount, but I have no hardware. I have the same exact holder that Hawk posted. It does have the catch mounted on the door, but no hinges or hinge pins, like the ones that are posted. I also looked at sor, it looks like I'm screwed on the hardware. They don't have what I need for my 12/71, I'm pretty sure that's my manufacture date. If I'm right then they are discontinued. Hawk you want to part with those pins?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom