stock spare tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning to change my 33" to heavier 35" tires, but not sure whether the stock spare tire carrier could handle it without some sort of body damages. Please advise. Thanks. Josh

When I had a 35 on my stock carrier, it ripped the carrier in half.. Had it on an aluminum wheel, which would be lighter than a steel wheel.

However I have seen other people do it without a problem.

Shawn

I have a 33" on my stock carrier. It works great. It is the older solid style, not tube. I had to modify it so the tire itself would not touch the carrier. I blocked it out about an inch. I also replaced all the bolts on the hinges with new grade 8 stock.

Thanks. To be on the safe side, I'd better modify the stock carrier so it could hold up fine.

get a 4plus tire carrier, then you would have no problems!

your stock one is not up to the task of a 35, will break in time,, time to upgrade

Think of that tire as a force multiplier. Whatever shortcomings/slop your tire carrier has with the 33, the 35 will AMPLIFY it.

I seem to recall someone on here taking the time to press apart the hinges and replace the nylon bushings with bronze ones. That would help. Gusseting the tubing would help too. Reinforcing the sheetmetal where the hinges attach wouldn't hurt either.

Ultimately, you will either fatigue the carrier anyways, or fatigue the body where the hinges attach, or buy a beefier tire carrier like most end up doing.

Best

Mark A.

good ideas!! will try fabricate a bit than buying. i've spent more than what i expected n wifey ain't too happy about that.

Last edited:
Think of that tire as a force multiplier. Whatever shortcomings/slop your tire carrier has with the 33, the 35 will AMPLIFY it.

I seem to recall someone on here taking the time to press apart the hinges and replace the nylon bushings with bronze ones. That would help. Gusseting the tubing would help too. Reinforcing the sheetmetal where the hinges attach wouldn't hurt either.

Mark A.

There's supposed to be bushes in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no wonder mine bangs and clatters all day long. PO has taken a sledge hammer to it to make the top hinge tube oval so it now rattles on all side ways movment instead of brake and acelerate:bang:

Got a 35 on a stock carrier for more than 10 years. Depends on the condition of the carrier and the body it's mounted to.
1526b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom