Stock shocks with 850 and 863's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Put the lift on last night and has my first post said, I broke the shock bolt off. I went ahead and put the springs on but left the old shocks on till I get the bolt out. Will this hurt anything when I drive it? How long can I run stock shocks with the lift?

tim

Tim,
You can run the stock length and/or OEM shocks for as long as you want.
-B-

Tim

As -B- mentions you can run the stockers with no problems. The only down side is that the stock shock will limit axle articulation.

Joe

Still have the stock shocks 35k later and other than they limit the articulation no big deal. jsut waiting for the $$$$ to put on the ome l series.
Dave

PHAEDRUS
Did you have any problems with stock shocks and your lift?

Would the stock shocks work with J's?

I ran the stock shocks until my OME's arrived. The only problem I had was when I took it to full articulation, I blew the front right shock. Probably wouldn't have happened with newer OE shocks, but with 107K they were already on borrowed time.

Dave

As stated, stock shocks will work but will limit down travel. You will have no issues pushing the suspension up to the stops, but the wheels will not reach down as far when driving on rough ground.
The front shocks are not very forgiving in the way that they are mounted. You will definitely need new front shocks to get full travel from the lift.
The rear shocks are easier. The factory shock is a high-quality Tokiko gas pressure shock that has 3" of extra upward travel in the stock set-up. These have a life expectancy of up to 200,000 miles, depending on how they are used. If your truck has been a soccor mom wagon up to now, the shocks are propably fine. If they are still in good condition you can use them with up to a 3" lift.
To use them, do this: Get or cut 4 pieces of 1 1/4" by .120 wall round tubing 3" long. Then buy 4 bolts for the upper rear shock mounts, 3" longer than the factory bolts. They should be grade 8 hardened bolts. Unbolt the upper shock mounts and put the tubes between the frame and the plate. Bolt them back on with the longer bolts. Tighten them very tight.
This does two things. It uses the full travel of the factory shocks, and it angles the tops of the shocks inward to help with articulation on rough roads.
This will not work as well with any lift over 3". The stock shocks have 3" of extra travel and no more. But with higher lifts, I would still suggest spacing the upper shock mount to get some shock angle.

Is there pic of the rear shock mod?

So I guess if I want J's I can't go with stock shocks???

Sorry, no pics. It is just 4 pieces of tubing and 4 longer bolts. I tack-welded the tubes to the plates to ease assembly, but that isn't necessary if you want to fumble a bit, or if you don't have a welder. They are only spacers, and once the bolts are tight they can't move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom