Stock shocks on OME? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I put the lift on last week and did not put the shocks on yet and I can not see how some of the people on this board said they they are running the stockers with a lift! The back has about 1/2 inch of down travel!! Ever time I hit a bump the back end tops out and jumps sideways. Speed bumps are a real KIller!!

I better get the shocks on ASAP. I am afraid to take it offroad with the stocker shocks.

Tim

I see you selected 863's for the rear. They are intended for a static additional load of 200kg. Put some weight in the back.

yes I got the 863 in the back. Now you sound like my wife, she is pissed about the 850's and 863's. she said it now rides like
SH#T!!! She wants it put back!! I guess I should have not got the heavy, but I am planning on a winch and tire carrier in the future.

Tim

I imagine she's a tad better looking than me :D

Seroiusly, toss a couple hundred pounds in it and go for a drive to see how it rides.

The 863s will ride rough with no extra weight in the back. Toss some winter recovery/survival gear back there and you'll be fine. I recently had all my gear out, as well as the rear seats, and it felt really jumpy so I know what you mean.

-H-

and the shocks arent a bump stop, so if theya re topping out, you may break the shock, which will make for an ugly ride then to get it home...

Funny you would undo shocks, change springs, and not fit the new shocks?

Tim,

I have to sorta second your comment about the ride quality. I have the 850/860 N73/N74L combo and the vehicle still rides stiff as a board. I do have the MT/Rs so that's part of the problem. I'd venture to say that the ride is a little softer than the oem Tokico shocks.

I realize this is totally a subjective opinion - so I'll try to give you an example. If I were to drive behind you at night, on a certain patch of our hwy here, my headlights would bounce on your rear view mirror - like a low rider on bump stops! Just for experiementation, I'm going to switch over to a set of Ranchos RS 9207/9251 shocks to see what happens (flame suit on!). I got these shocks laying around from the RR.

My wife ain't gonna take this much longer. Not to mention my poor dog, who is prolly getting sick from the ride in the cargo area!

Ali

I did not put the shocks on because I do not have them yet...

tim

Tim,

>> The back has about 1/2 inch of down travel!! Ever time I hit a bump the back end tops out and jumps sideways. <<

I'm missing something here. You should have more downward travel in the stock length shocks because they are extended with the lift.

As others have told you, you will need weight to run the 863's; stock length or not. The standard OME's are only slightly longer than the stock shocks. I'm not certain, but I don't think the 863 (non-J) springs are designed for the longer OME L-shocks.

Add a LOT of weight; front and rear.

-B-

I have the 863s (non-J) and L shocks in the rear and it works fine.

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=8238;start=msg70033#msg70033 date=1070345584]
Tim,

>> The back has about 1/2 inch of down travel!! Ever time I hit a bump the back end tops out and jumps sideways. <<

I'm missing something here. You should have more downward travel in the stock length shocks because they are extended with the lift.
[/quote]

B, I think he means downtravel on the shock and not the truck. When the truck unloads, the shock is going to extend and reach it's limit and pick up the axle.

It should work if the springs are used as intended with the correct weight applied to the truck.

I just replaced my stock shocks with std OME's (thank you Christo). I measured the extended lenghts and the OME's front and rear had just over 1 and 1/2 inch additional travel.(n73 n74)

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom