Stock roll bar color FJ40 2/72? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've skimmed the forums and cant seem to find a good answer. What color should a stock roll bar be for an FJ40 in Feb 1972? Should it match the jump seats? I bought an OEM bar off Craigslist and it certainly looks to be black. I've already restored my seats and had the frames painted gloss black. The guy helping me restore mine says the bar should be gray to match the wheels? I did my stock rims powder coaed an ANSI 61 gray. What's the right answer here on roll bar color? Thanks

Translucent. Possibly invisible. Roll bars didn't show up until later - 75ish. I've seen black and gray. Don't know if the gray is stock though.

:cheers:

Go with the Black. It always looks good no matter what color your int. is. Just my.02

In my 76 FJ40 the rollbar is black in the 82 BJ42 the rollbar is gray. Does anyone know if the gray rollbar is the same color as the rims and if so what is the paint code?

I was lucky enough to pick up a stock '76 roll bar for my '75, and it looked like someone took it out the day they bought the cruiser. The hardware and pads were all there and looked brand new. The bar was painted gray. I think black looks good also, so do what you like.:cheers: I used Rustolem smoke gray for my wheels and it is really close to the gray on the rollbar, the smoke gray is slightly lighter.

Here in FL a black roll bar will get so hot you cannot touch it. One thing to consider.

Agreed... I think silver / pewter looks good OR one of the secondary colors that your truck has on it...
My FJ45 LWB is Grey with white. and the tray is pewter. My roll bar is Grey the same as the truck but i might repaint it white or pewter.

But black is a good fall back option. :wrench:

I bought the black roll bar out of a brand new '73 when I purchased the new owner's '67 FJ40 (he didn't like having the roll bar). It was gloss black.

Like Johnny posted the 74 (9/73) was first year of factory roll bar. They were paint until 1/79 when they were grey to match the lighter door panels.

The dark grey rollbar came in '79 and later years. They also changed the color of the upholstery (seats and door trim) at this time.

Prior to that it was black.

Too late, Living in the Past answered it.

Last edited:
My 72 had a black roll bar in it. Didn't look to have ever been painted but now I learn it most likely wasn't stock. Definitely a stock roll bar though. I vote black.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom