Stock Rim Color Code for the love of all things good! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pirateslair.com
Does anybody have the stock grey PPG, Ditzler, Nason or DuPont codes for stock rims (1972 '40) ? Everywhere I look I only get names like Pewter and the mysterious " T1147", or a sixty response thread that talks about anything but the damn codes! Even toyotareference.com doesn't designate rim color anywhere.

Please help!

Thanks

Ken

I hope you get a straight answer too!
I would really like to know also!

Cheers, Allen

The wheel color definitely isn't pewter. It's grey. Pewter was used on bench seat frames, seat backs and some dash pieces. JT Outfitters sells the pewter and the grey paint in spray cans.

what we call pewter is called T 1434 Gray Metallic... The rims are T 1447 Gray

shane aka metrictlc sells the pewter powder for powder coating

Perfect. Thx Johnny!

Allen

what we call pewter is called T 1434 Gray Metallic... The rims are T 1447 Gray

shane aka metrictlc sells the pewter powder for powder coating

Thanks, but that code does not work at my local paint store that carries PPG Ditzler Nason DuPont and other pro car paints. Do you know where that code originates from? Is it a Toyota code? Is it some aftermarket rattle can code? This is the problem with all the searches. Nothing matches professionally.

Any help is still appreciated!!

ken

Last edited:
Ken, I went through the same thing and ended up matching a Napa crossfire swatch to some "virgin" paint on the inside of one of my rims. I tweaked it as best I could to get a match and went base/clear on mine. I simply gave up on finding a formula and my Dupont supplier could not help with a spectrometer because we didn't have a flat surface to work from.

ccot sells the paint just get it from them? >>> http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/paintgray.html

people have used dupont? concrete gray powder for powder coating them ... also... i have seen massey furguson gray used... looked for the number for you...

number is>> 5339-22 people say its lacking the blueish tinge... for ease of use ... if it were me... i would have the painter mix to the massy ferg... and then you can keep a can on hand when the rim gets banged up... its an easy touchup...

too much getting bent over the exactness of the color... but... the truth is... the color has changed over time, some rims lighter and some darker... and its not just fadded colors..

if you are going exact.... around 72/73 the rims were only painted gray on the outside... black inside and in the rim till the wagon style came out... pre 72/73 were gray all around... and earlyer rims were black till 68 model... and 25's were body color

in a nutshell:
E-60 body color
61-67 black rims
68-72/73 gray rims
72/73 - 7/80 gray outside only
8/80-84 white wagon wheels

JohnnyC

Thats the most articulate detail I've seen yet. I have a call in to Specter's rehab department and If I don't get a chip code out of that, then your idea sounds firm. I also may just lighten up to the slightly metallic verson that CCOT's reman Bumperettes come in.

Ken

ccot sells the paint just get it from them? >>> http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/paintgray.html

people have used dupont? concrete gray powder for powder coating them ... also... i have seen massey furguson gray used... looked for the number for you...

number is>> 5339-22 people say its lacking the blueish tinge... for ease of use ... if it were me... i would have the painter mix to the massy ferg... and then you can keep a can on hand when the rim gets banged up... its an easy touchup...

too much getting bent over the exactness of the color... but... the truth is... the color has changed over time, some rims lighter and some darker... and its not just fadded colors..

if you are going exact.... around 72/73 the rims were only painted gray on the outside... black inside and in the rim till the wagon style came out... pre 72/73 were gray all around... and earlyer rims were black till 68 model... and 25's were body color

in a nutshell:
E-60 body color
61-67 black rims
68-72/73 gray rims
72/73 - 7/80 gray outside only
8/80-84 white wagon wheels

Great thread.......

Another great thread.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom